My '74

Page 1 of 2
Just thought I would share a picture of my '74 Trans Am in case anyone would like to see it. I know black wasn't available in 1974, it was originaly Cameo White, but it had a nice thorough black paint job on it when I got it
in 1980. I repainted it in '83. It is mechanically all original with a 455 and TH400, 3.08 rear end. The interior is all original, white seats, the rest is black. This picture was taken about 4 months ago. I now have 69k miles on it.
http://webpages.charter.net/gallen541/TA10.JPG

would
it
455
That's a sweet looking 74, the black paint was a good choice. I always liked the white interior with a black dashpad and carpet. Is the 455 stock? I have a 76 455 4 speed T/A but it's changed a bit over the years. 455 birds are getting rare these days so it's nice to see one in such good shape.
Dave

the
69k
liked
have
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the comments. Yes, the 455 is stock. The only mods I have are Hooker Comp headers and a flowmaster exhaust system. The engine has never been opened up. Even the carpet is original. Just a slight wear hole where my left foot rests against the well. Would you believe I traded a '74 Pinto station wagon straight across for this car in 1980? I was in the Air Force at Clark Air Base in the Philippines at the time. This car has been to Japan, The Philippines and back again, none the worse for the traveling.

You didn't used to go by the name "HoDad" in here? There was a guy around here that had a simular story about a 74 Trans Am.
Dennis Smith
says...

this
at
none
Yeah, that is me! I changed my name for another group, but didn't change it back for this one. I'm not trying to be sneaky or anything. I've had a chat or two in the past with you. I don't post very often, but read the group daily.
says...

for
Philippines
around
it
HoDad? I was going through the computer a few weeks ago and found a file called HoDad, some stuff I sent you a long time ago. I didn't open the file and I can't remember what it was for. Damn my memory is about shot but good to hear from you again.
I pulled the 75 455 out of the T/A and have a 463 in progress. It should be interesting when it all goes back together.
Dave
says...

again,
change
but
file
good
be
Wow! A 463! Is that just bored out or are you doing anything else special to it? I would be interested in the details. I am considering pulling my engine out next summer to detail the engine compartment, and maybe replace engine bearings and check the heads out while I'm at it. Some fresh paint and new hoses, etc. It's not something I'm looking forward to doing, but would give me continued peace of mind about my engine, and clean up a long neglected engine bay.

Typically when an engine is "rebuilt" the cylinders are bored out.030 thousands making a 455 into a 462. Technically my '71 is a 462 H.O. now.

And maybe get rid of that 5 quart oil pan? :-)
I'd put in a RA/HO "068" camshaft while you're at it. Its still a factory cam so it won't cause low vacuum or driveablity problems but it definately will boost the engine nicely. Installing a factory 3/4-length windage tray wouldn't be a bad idea either. Those two items should be good for close to 40HP and nobody would ever no the difference.
Dennis Smith

while
Ahh, so you do remember me Dennis! Yeah, and that is part of the reason I want to inspect the motor. When I overfilled the crankcase, I had that loud knocking that went away when I slowed to 60. Most likely a deflated lifter. It's been two years and about 750 miles, and I haven't noticed any problems. But I still have that nagging feeling that something must have been hurt a little. It couldn't have been good for it. So new bearings, and the cam you suggest sounds good. Dave suggested older heads, and if the '69 RA3 heads I have access to will work, that should be a good combo. Also the correct 6 qt pan! HD

work, that should be a good combo. Also the

The RA III heads on your 455 is going to give you about 12:1 compression ..which I don't think you are going to like running 110 octane racing fuel at $3.99 a gallon. I don't think dishing the pistons would be a great idea either because that might mess up the flame pattern in the combustion chamber. If you want to bump up the compression with heads look for a set of 1970 455 HO heads. These are D-port cast iron heads that will give you about 10.5:1 compression. You'll be able to get by with premium fuel and octane boost or 5 gallons of racing fuel per tank full.
I don't know how much HP you want but with the RA/HO cam, windage tray, your headers and exhaust you are probably right around 325 net HP and can still use the recommended 87 octane fuel.
Dennis Smith

will
at
chamber.
455
10.5:1
or 5

your
Thanks for the help, Dennis.
HD

loud
lifter.
problems.
HoDad:
When I rattled off that list of "older" heads, I think I confused you a bit about Pontiac heads. I was referring to heads with chamber volumes that would keep your car running on pump gas but let you bump the cam up a bit. You have to keep in mind that Pontiac made heads in various chamber volumes. The 69 heads you are thinking of using (72 ccs) would crank the compression up into the 11s like Dennis posted which would probably not be what you are looking for. There are larger chamber heads off of 400s that will bump your compression up without having to run fuel to prevent detonation. You could run a 068 cam in your 455 but IIRC you have 8:1 compression and I don't know how well the cam would work with a compression ratio that low.
Here's a link to a Jim Hand article on Pontiac cam testing in a 455. If you haven't heard of Jim Hand, he's done tons of testing over the years with factory parts to see what combinations built the most power. I followed his advice when I was running the "junkyard 455" in my 4025lb T/A that ran 13.7s with a crappy exhaust system.
http://www.classicfirebird.com/hand/jhand5.html
Here's another good site if you want to play with chamber volumes to achieve a specific compression ratio with flat top pistons:
http://www.wallaceracing.com /
If your buddy wants to give you those 69 heads, snap them up. You may want to use them on a 400 in the future or build a high compression engine one day.
For some real world information, here's a link to a 8.7:1 455 with an 068 cam (you have to scroll down near the bottom of the left hand column to Lady Dude's 79 T/A Street Car):
http://www.pontiacdude.cc /
Not bad for a sleeved 455 built out of leftovers. ;^)
Dave

bit
volumes.
compression
are
your
know
you
his
13.7s
achieve
Lady
Thanks for the links, Dave. I already had the Wallace Racing site, but I saved the others. I'll keep my eyes open for an earlier set of 455 heads. I have a lot of time before I could use them, so maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks for taking the time to come up with all this info. I'll keep everyone posted when and if I get this project started next summer. HD

Poncho, the 068 cam was installed by the factory in 71-72 455 HO engines which have 8.4:1 compression. This engine was designed to run on regular 91 RON(87 octane) gasonline.
The 068 may have originally been intended for high compression engines but it still works great in low compression engines. The RA IV cam on the other hand doesn't work good at all with low compression.
Dennis Smith

across
If you can find some heads in the 95cc range, swap out your 455 4Xs and you will be amazed at the power increase. 96s, 7K3s, or 6X-8s or maybe a set of 400 4X heads (-3a or -7s IIRC) would work but check the chamber volumes to be sure. Shoot for low 9s compression and you will still be able to run pump gas. If you want to spend a bit more money, bump the cam up to a 230-340 duration range, add a set of Hedman 28150 headers (I'm pretty sure that's the part number) and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust. That combo on a 455 is usually good for mid to low 13s in a heavy car. The 3.08 ratio won't help too much but the 455 will have enough torque to yank it off the line with 1.9 to 2.0 60 fts. Shift at 5200 and have some fun. ;^)
A 463 is a .034 over 455 with a standard crank. I want to push this one pretty hard so the poncho short block needs to be stronger than stock. After the block is bored it will be filled and a lifter bore brace installed. The mains will be studded so hopefully the block won't flex. I've had a hard time getting rods so I decided to cut the rod journals to 2.20 so I can run BBC Eagle H beam rods. The pistons are custom SRPs with the pin location adjusted for the rod length and they should be in next week. Once I get all of the rotating parts the shop will deck the block an balance the rotating assembly. I'm running a custom solid roller so oil retrictors will be installed in the lifter bore oil ports. My Edelbrock heads are being ported and milled for 11:1 compression to complement the cam. I need to install an electric fuel pump and replace the brake lines while the engine is out. I'll probably pull the power brake booster and go with Wilwood racing pads and a manual cylinder. With all of this I'm going to need a roll cage. The 455 should hold up to shifting at 6500 (the cam is good to 7500) so the 100 shot nitrous jets come out and get replaced with 250 hp jets. I haven't decided on an axle assembly yet but I'm leaning towards a Dana 60. The 4 speed gets replaced with a TKO 650 5 speed. The A/C is still intact so it should be a comfortable cruiser that runs mid to low 11s on the engine.
Today I had to buy a new tow vehicle resulting in a loss of T/A funds so if it gets finished in 4 months I'll be doing good. I want to take the car to Pontiacs in the Park in May so I really need to get back to work on the car.
Dave

you
of
pump
2.0
After
The
run
all
ported
an
I'll
shot
gets
if
car.
That sounds like a pretty impressive engine you are putting together, Dave. I guess we can expect to see you in the Pontiac magazines this Spring. I think I have access to some '69 RA3 heads. Would these work on my '74? Don't know the casting numbers for sure, but will try to check on them in the next week or two. A friend of mine has a '69 TA that had a couple of stripped exhaust bolt holes in the drivers side head, so he bought a couple of correct replacement heads off ebay for his car. Said the ones he took off are mine if I want them. I've already got headers and the FlowMaster 2 1/2" dual exhaust system with crossover on the car. Since I'll have the engine opened up, a new cam is only logical. I'm on a kind of strict budget, so I can't get too carried away. ;) HD
The Sneed wrote:

Nice. That's 20 year old paint on there?! Wow! That's nicer paint than my 01 TA.
Ray

would
it
455
the
69k
Thanks. Yes, over 21 years old. I stripped it to bare metal, then primered and eight coats of black laquer, and 8 coats of clear. Wet sanded with 800, then 1500, then polished out. I put less than 500 miles a year on it, (hard miles ;), the 455 NEEDS to be driven ), and it is always covered in the garage. My wife did put a ding in the drivers door with her car door. I still won't let her forget about it!

You think thats bad? The previous owner of my '73 T/A backed the passenger side quarter panel into a tree!
Dennis Smith
says...

passenger
Ouch! At least you saved it from more careless destruction! Kind of seems like any damage to our babies hurts more than if it was done to our own bodies, doesn't it? I'm changing my screen name back to HoDad, since my friends in here recognize that name, even though I don't often post. Hope everyone has a good weekend!