Oh No...Transmission Fluid...

I just checked my tranny fluid and it looked dark dirty red and smelled burnt. I know this probably means my trans is near the end.

I'm not really having any problems with shifting, slipping, etc.

I last had it changed at 80k. My question is do I get it changed or not? I've heard many problems created from this.

94 z28 141k
Reply to
Steve

Steve wrote: : I just checked my tranny fluid and it looked dark dirty red and : smelled burnt. I know this probably means my trans is near the end.

: I'm not really having any problems with shifting, slipping, etc.

: I last had it changed at 80k. My question is do I get it changed or : not? I've heard many problems created from this.

: 94 z28 141k

I'd change it. You should have it changed every 30K and it looks like you have 61K on your last change.

The condition of your fluid could be just that it is old. If your trans is shifting fine, I'd assume all is well and change the fluid.

If your trans is going out (and it may be, 141K is a lot of miles), sticking with old, burnt fluid isn't going to help and some new fluid isn't going to hurt. If your trans is fine, sticking with old fluid could definitely hurt and new fluid could prolong the life of your trans.

The choice seems pretty clear to me.

Marshall G. Ward, III

1996 T/A, WS6, 6-Speed, Med Dk Green, Hardtop, T43 Spoiler, 10 Spk CD, Pwr Ant, Graphite cloth, Pwr seat, Keyless entry w/alarm, Leather Appointments Group MODS: !CAGS, K&N, Synthetic Engine/Trans/Diff fluid, Flowmaster Muffler Hotchkis 2 pt STB and SFC's, B&M Ripper shifter License Frame:"One of 2051/1996 Ram Air Trans Am" License Plate: "RAIR TA"
Reply to
Marshall Ward

Go to a place with a fluid flusher. Preferably a GM dealer that has one (I never trust places like AMMCO, or IT!). Also have your filter changed, and the PCM checked for any transmission error codes. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig