OT: 05 Mustangs at the Drags

Last Wednesday, Feb 2, was opening day for the 05 season at Sacramento Raceway. Two '05 Mustang GT's showed up, and everyone was interested to see what they could do. Both cars had 5-speeds. They both ran pretty consistent
between 14.25 and 14.50. The best time I saw all night for either car was 14.24, and that was with almost no wheel-spin off the line. I would have thought it would run about the same as an LT1 powered fourth gen. The horsepower and weight are about the same. The whole crowd agreed they were pretty disappointing.
Gary
thats pretty pathetic actually. All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....
I would have expected them to be running around the 13.60 to 13.90 range. I guess 14.20s isn't real bad. Actually thats all "pure-stock" LT1s are good for...... and even better than stock Iron and Aluminum headed L98s which is good for 14.80s to 15.20s in the IROC and mid 14s in the Vette..............
~John www.SupercarVideos.com

<1993 saw the debut of the fourth-generation F-body, and a marked increase in performance. Camaros and Firebirds received a version of the 5.7 liter LT1 engine from the Corvette. This "Gen-II" small-block featured aluminum heads, reverse-flow cooling, and a redesigned intake setup that made good power all the way to the engine's 5800 rpm redline. The 1993 LT1 was rated at 275-horsepower, and LT1-powered F-bodies were good for low-14's at the strip.>
Just a little LT1 clip from the year one website about the LT1 #s.....

I'm running a '96 LT1 powered Z28 with a 6-speed myself. So far my best time has been 13.85@103mph. The car is basically stock except it has a Flowmaster muffler with stock pipes and SLP's light weight flywheel.
There was another guy out there with a showroom stock '04 Mach 1 with an automatic. The Mach 1 was only rated at 5hp more than the '05 GT. He would just leave it in drive and step on the gas. He ran mid 13's all night.
Gary

The pretty shit in Car and Track they had it running at 13.6, hats got to be a big disappointment. Thats why I'd rather push my Chevy then drive a Ford.

There is nothing wrong with low 14s from the factory..... Add K&N filter and a decent cat-back exhaust should break them into the upper 13 range. IMO that is VERY good for a street car....... I'd say the new Stang is a good match up for the LT1 Z-28s.
Now, we all know the LS1 is a whole different animal.

puked:

Wasn't the OHC a step up from the 5.0 pushrod?
-- lab~rat >:-) The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.
Wasn't the OHC a step up from the 5.0 pushrod? ====================================Yes.... and they tach alot high too. I don't think Ford even produces a pushrod engine anymore.
anyway, the 5.0 Mustang was a low 15 second car.... some would run high 14s, and some of the lighter coupes (trunk edition cars) could hit mid 14s (14.4 to14.6) ...and the 1985 GTs had awesome 60' times...

....and an added note on the 4.6.... The '96-'98 had the restrictive head design, and the performance wasn't much to brag about, but the '99 and later had the good heads and those 4.6 GT Mustangs are pretty impressive.... (still no match for the LS1 though)
I think the '99 and later 4.6 is rated at 265 hp? (somewhere around that) and the new retro styled Mustang is 285 hp (correct me if I'm wrong)
...and the 5.0 Mustang was only factory rated at 225 hp... but the 5.0s pushrod design, factory roller cam and tubular headers made loads of torque out of the box....
~John www.SuperCarVideos.com

I think that there are two different style heads for the GT cars. One for the N/A and one for the supercharged cars. I had an opportunity to buy a factory supercharger from a 04' SVT Cobra but research says that I would have to have replaced the heads to make it work.
...Ron

-- 68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert

Well, in theory, yeah...but since I haven't actually driven one (I'm waiting for the Coupe to come out before I take the new 'Stangs "that seriously") I won't have any personal road test info to go on. ;)
Dealers always wonder why I ask them if the car's been warmed up before I take it for a test run...if they only knew. ;)