OT :Nitrous oxide

Hi guys!

A friend and me were having a discussion about nitrous oxide, and we wonder:

What exactly happens when one triggers the gas? Is there an insane increase in RPM or what?

Just wondering, - any answers will be apreciated.

PS: I live in Norway, and so far I've not heard about any road cars equipped with NOx in Norway

Thanx

J.I. Sorensen Norway

Reply to
Jan Ivar Sørensen

Best description is like a turbo kicking in, or a 10mph rear ender. The car just "jumps" forward. A 100hp shot isn't that bad - but I can break the street tires loose in second gear. A 250hp shot would need a progressive controller or slicks just to be useable.

Reply to
Ray

If its got the correct synch on the soleniods, its not a hard fast kick...it depends more on the engine, gearing, and such. We have had several in here over the years that have had juice on their rides, myself included, including on my Magna and I am afraid that your description leaves a bit to the imagination.

Reply to
CBHvac

Then you write a better description. ;)

With a 75 hp shot, I was actually expecting more. My car has a switch on the console and a full throttle trigger, so I can go full throttle and hit the button - the car immediately "picks up" like a turbo'ed car would, and you go about 10mph faster VERY quickly, but it's not THAT nuts. I need to put up my in car run video clip on my website...

They have progressive controllers now to soften the kick for guys running a lot more juice than I am. My kit is the basic 100hp dry Holley LS1 kit. Nothing else - not even a window switch or rev limiter. (next year.)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

I have a friend who ran at Orlando this year in the World Street Shootout in a 76 T/A, 3500 lbs. The car runs 10.50s on the motor but with a two stage nitrous system with adjustable timers he was able to run 8.93@154 on BFG Comp T/As. You can do lots with nitrous if you don't mind using a bottle each pass. ;^)

Dave(NOS is like American Express - don't leave home without it)

Reply to
poncho462

That must be a hell of a kick - even with a progressive controller. That's about a 250 shot? Doesn't sound like much until you realize that's more power-adder than a 92 'Bird came with total. :)

Ray

Reply to
Ray