OT: Why I get burnt out selling stuff on ebay

Ya'll know I don't usually post my auction stuff here. This is a serious of messages from over a year ago I still keep to remind me how silly people really are.

The car in question was a 1985 Supra with Sevre Right Rear Damage. The frame was almost touching the ground. the body was pushed in 15 inches, and was listed as a "parts car" with a engine that "runs good". In the pictures you could see the damage, and see the exhaust pipe crumpled. The fact that it would move was amazing since the independant rear end had shifted, and was binding the drive shaft. The car had good wheels, good seats, good doors, a good front clip and a good engine. I had the first bid price at $250 (roughly the value of the good parts, minus the labor of pulling them). The auction even stated that it had not been driven for 3 years!

Ill keep the persons name out of it.

> Hi >> >> >> >> How much oil will it use between a 3000 mile oil change ? >> >> Are the breaks good , ie rotors , calipers and pads ? Does it pull or >>shimmy during breaking ? >> >> Hows the engine on power is it peppy or sluggish ? >> >> Hows the exhaust system ? good or needing work ? >> >> Hows the stearing is it tight with a good front end and parts ? >> >> I know it's wrecked but if you can honestly state that it " Runs Good >>"you should be able to asnswer the questions otherwise you wouldn't >>know if it "runs good " >> >> Please advise

His reply to my first reponsce: >lol >>

> Well arn't you the friendly one lmao~ I can read and I do understand >>it can't be powered on it's own power ( at least not far ) . If you >>would take 5 minutes to read and comprehend my mail you would realise >>that I wasn't asking if it drives lol ~~ I was asking the condition of >>certain parts that should have survived the wreck . I was asking if >>YOU THOUGHT the engine was good or if you had first hand knowledge >>that the engine was good . >> >>Being such a great Experianced Mechanic you should be able to tell if >>the breaks or other parts are good or at least be honest enough to >>state ( I have no idea ) because that is the truth isn't it , " your >>not sure " but your experience tells you it sure sounds like a good >>engine . >> >>If taking 5 minutes to answer questions concerning YOUR listing is to >>much to ask perhaps you should just be honest in your listing to start >>with . Simply state " I have no known knowledge " of this car but my >>experience tells me it's a good engine . >>Instead you act like a know it all prick so the answer is NO I'm no >>longer interested in any thing you might have for sale .

His next tirade:

>>lol~~ I'm shaking my head on this one and you lmao~~ >> >> Yea I could have wrote you . What of it !!! I look through these ads >>and find several that interest me and write trying to find out >>information . Then after thinking about what I've been told I try to >>make the best choise I can based on several factors including whats in >>the listing , the answers to questions and what I conclude from my >>experience . >> >> You can cuss , rant and rave all you want I still come up with the >>same conclusion , you really have no idea and you even admit this . >>Why don'tyou just say what you have said in the last two mails in your >>listing ? Why can't you just say " We tested this , we checked that >>and although I have NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE of this car I think it's >>good because of this or that combinded with my experience . >> >> Instead you act like YOU KNOW this is good . Truth is if you KNOW >>this is good you would be able to answer the questions because that >>would mean you have personal knowledge about this car prior to the >>wreck . If that was the case you would know what shape breaks and >>front end stearing are in . You would know how much oil it used >>between changes if you had any knowledge wouldn't you . >> >> About the being near your grage it doesn't deserve a reply but I will >>anyhow lol . You have nothing to worry about I wouldn't spend 5 >>minutes there . >> >>The first time you or your partners evaded a direct question I'd >>figure RIPOFF and turn around and leave . The first time you seemed >>bothered to answer a qeustion I'd say FUCK YOU lol and leave . >> >> So lets just leave it alone here ok . You think you know it all and >>that your a gift from God . I think your a rude jerk that knows very >>little . >> >> bye bye

What do ya'll think? Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

It's not any better putting stuff in the local buy and sell. I had my old winter beater in there for $125. (1970 Buick -

if you care...)

Anyway, the car is big, green, ugly, rusty and a whole $125. That's pretty much what the ad said. Not safetied*.

Caller #1: Is it safetied? (me: It's $125. What do you think?) Caller #2: Is it restorable? (me: Sure. How much money do you have?) Caller #3: Can you pull the engine? (me: sure) Can you put it in my current car? (me: )

That's why I ended up using it in a demo derby instead of selling it.

*(Manitoba has a safety inspection program where if you buy a used car it needs to be safetied before you can get plates. A safety is good for two years, so most used cars are sold with a safety and the good ones have a fresh safety. Don't get me started on the shit that gets safetied.)

When I finally decided to retire my rusted out Jimmy I went through a similar process, which is why it's still sitting in my back yard instead of parting it out. I'm too scared to advertise it and have to go through that again. :)

Ray

Reply to
news

You know how it is with the internet. People are remote and can exploit their fantasies. They can be obnoxious hard asses whereas it would never go down the same way in person. My philosophy when dealing with an ignoramous goes one of two ways. Either I'm too busy to carry on a no win conversation or I'll have some fun trading insults for the time I'm willing to waste at it.

What I like about gearheads, and I work with a few, is the passion they have for machines. Their wrenching experience defines who they are. Charles Bendig is a gearhead pro and if you want his advice, you better not be the sensitive type. I've come to appreciate how guys like you brissle at ignorant statements. For instance, I know that a good mechanic doesn't

*really* attach the blunt reply to the person. In other words, an insult from a gearhead shouldn't be taken personal. It's just the price to be paid for free advice. ;)

We have fun teasing the hemi guys and they have great come-backs for the GM fans. And the ford guys always take a whippin. LOL....

Regards

Reply to
Messenger