Overheating problems with 1997 Camaro V6

Just replaced thermostat with a fail safe thermostat. When I run the car and briefly rev eht engine to 3000 RPM, temp rises rapidly above 210. But when I drained the radiator a short time later, all the
coolant in the radiator was cool. Is there a way to verify that the water pump is working? Is there a special fill procedure needed to fill the coolant system? I did bleed are from the vent screw on the pipe where the thermostat is replaced.
Thanks for your help.