Paint Problem

Ok,

I parked my Camaro outside today and it rained. There were water spots on the paint. No problem, I'll just wash it. They don't wash off. I tried wax, again, they don't come off. Does anyone have any idea what has happened?

I'm assuming I'll need to get polishing compound and an orbital buffer to fix it. Why did this happen in the first place?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David R. McCoy

It was most likely acid rain:

Or you had too much wax on the car to begin with when the acid rain hit. Try using Meguiars number 2, then follow up with number 9.

These are the most non aggressive products you will find, but work well with up to 1500 grit sand paper. So they are a good product, low in abrasive.

Stay away from sharp lines, corners and door openings and fender edges, even with an orbital buffer. there will always be a chance of overheating and burning the paint!

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks Refinish King.

I know my original post sounded kind of stupid to anyone who knows about paint. What you've got to understand is that my daily drivers for the past

16 years have all had weatherbeaten, oxidized paint. I haven't had to worry about water spots/stains since 1988.

I'll give Meguiars a try.

BTW, I just bought a GTECH Pro. It's a pretty neat little toy. It calculates HP & torque based on measured acceleration. You have to enter the weight of your car and it does all the rest. Now I need to go find a large bathroom scale to drive onto!!

David

Reply to
David R. McCoy

I've heard a lot of raves about the g-tech:

So the pro must be a blast?

No question is a stupid question, unless it's not asked!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

It seems to work very well. I haven't done a full 1/4 mile run yet so I don't know exactly how fast the car runs. I'll try a run this weekend.

I like the fact that you can save runs, download them to your computer and archive them. This would seem to be a good, cheap diagnostic tool to measure 1/4 mile performance, HP and torque without having to pay for dyno time.

David

message

Reply to
David R. McCoy

They say that they have the interface running. I haven't checked it yet. Hope to do so this weekend. There are a few bugs in the GTech's software but they're currently working on a software update.

I got this bug info off of their website:

One thing they keep saying over and over is that the hp/torque values that you get will be lower than on a dyno primarily because dynos don't take certain "real world" things into consideration. Since the Gtech measures acceleration it's measuring your cars ability to transmit power to the rear tires. Some things that can affect this measurement are rolling resistance of the tires on the asphalt, wind resistance (including head or tailwind) and inefficiencies in the drivetrain and whether you're going up or down an incline. All these things will affect your car's acceleration.

David

Reply to
David R. McCoy