Parts interchangeability: 3rd gen camaro/firebird

I've always scratched my head in wonder why you can buy just about anything for a Camaro but I can't even find a door panel for a Trans Am. Anyway, I know a lot of parts interchange but don't know which.
Does anybody have a list or "rule of thumb" for what interchanges and what doesn't? Also kinda interested in what interchanges between year models. I've owned a 69 Camaro, 79 T/A and now a 87 T/A. So, my interest focuses on the 3rd gen F-bodies. Jim
Disregardable ranting follows: Doesn't ANYBODY make a gauge insert so I can throw away the "gauge brick"?! heard a 4th gen dash and door panels fit 3rd gens? what about consoles? hatch & glass? God! Why can't I find a rakish spoiler instead a 4th gen look-alike? There's gotta be a better hood scoop than a 2 1/2 in cowl?! A/C controls? that damned "pod"!

Nothing much swaps between 3rd and 4th gen. Rear axle and rear control arms fit, but the 4th gen is much wider. I've seen it done but can't imagine why.
3rd gen Camaro to 3rd Gen Firebird, all driveline components are the same. Interior is the same except for the dash and center console. Doors, windshield frame, roof, and rear glass are the same on the outside but that's it.
Any performance add-on for a Camaro should also fit a Firebird. The differences are mostly cosmetic.
Thanks Rev. I figured that was pretty much it. I'd heard somewhere (can't remember where) something about swapping interior components between the 3rd & 4th generations. The comment that stuck and prompted my e-mail was "but you have to swap the whole dash and console". It kinda made me start wondering later, "Hey, did GM tool the bodies the same and just install different interior???" Best Regards, Drink