Police remotely stop cars

It started out in the race pits. This article is from a British newspaper today. What's there today will be here tomorrow, so get ready, because, like so many other things, it's going to happen no matter what we say. We will no longer be masters of anything, even our own cars. Cell phones are going to have automatic tracking devices, and the computers in our cars are going to be used to give control over to someone else whenever they think it is best for us. I hate it when someone does something for my own good. It never works out that way.

Police call for remote button to stop cars

Motorists face new 'Big Brother' technology

After speed cameras, road humps and mobile phone bans, there could be more bad news for Britain's motorists. Police are urging Ministers to give them the power to stop vehicles by remote control. In what will be seen as yet another example of the in-creasing power of Big Brother, drivers face the prospect of their cars being halted by somebody pushing a button.

'Providing an effective means to remotely stop a vehicle is fast becoming a priority,' Hammond told a European conference. 'The development of a safe and controlled system to enable remote stopping has the potential to directly save lives.'

However, Bert Morris, deputy director of the AA Motoring Trust said: 'People don't like the idea of Big Brother taking over their driving. In years to come that might be acceptable, but it's very, very important that there's a step-by-step approach.'

Cars could be stopped by the gradual reduction of engine power so it slowly comes to a stop, or by making sure when drivers come to a halt they can not move again.

The key is the electronics box in most new cars which, when the driver presses the accelerator or brake, sends a message to the engine to speed up or slow down. It can be programmed to limit the speed generally or according to the position of the car, established via a GPS satellite. For remote operation, a modem, which works like a mobile phone, can be used tell the car to slow down or stop.

Similar radio telemetry was used by Formula One pit crews to adjust the engines of racing cars at up to 200mph - until it was banned this year.

Another link is to technology which would stop cars going above certain speed limits - either a fixed maximum such as 70mph, or varying according to the local limit.

Experts now believe the technology could start to be used voluntarily by the end of the decade and ultimately could be made mandatory.

Reply to
B Dragon

"B Dragon"> It started out in the race pits.

ha ! put that shit in one of my cars and i'll yank it all out !!

--

S.S.I.N.

[...]

: >

: > -- : > I owe much. : > I have nothing. : > I leave the rest to the poor. : >

: ha ! : put that shit in one of my cars and i'll yank it all out !! : : : -- :

:
: ---- : i am the darkest creation of god

Never happen anyway. There ain't been a lock made that doesn't have a key. Can you imagine hundreds of motorists suddenly coming to a complete stop because of the whimsy of some punk kids.....or terrorists?

Yeah....just one more stupid idea.

GLK9MM

Well, if I'm reading the article right, if your car is new enough to be so equipped, it's already in your car. The idea is to just remotely override the accelerator/decelerator function that is already integral in your ECM or other computer controlled device. The remote control will be held by the police or whomever, and it will use what's already in your car to regulate your speed, or bring you to a stop. Every advance in technology brings a potential demon with it. I hope this doesn't happen, but I think we better keep a heads-up if we start hearing about it.

Reply to
B Dragon

All the more reason to keep on driving my second gen firebird

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

the Black Helicopters are coming!!!!

Reply to
Im Right

Got that right...

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

I didn't know they were into that kind of kink.

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

Reply to
B Dragon

I hope so. I'd have to call mine Barchetta. and that's just a wrong name for an f-body, even if it is red.

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

B Dragon Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Look at it this way. The internet evolved and some people abused it, by relaying through computers of people they don't even know.

Imagine what will happen if this does go the route you suggest.

Any of our wives could be driving down the road, and suddenly poof. Engine dies. Some neer-do-well walks up...well you can guess the rest.

Or, it's 3:00pm in LA/NYC/Chicago/any other traffic hell here, and suddenly a bunch of kids decide to play a big prank.

Think this is far fetched? Look up the story on CBS about how people are buying the devices meant to change traffic lights from red to green for emergency vehicles...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 05:39:45 GMT, "S.S.I.N." wrote: The technology is already installed from the factory on new cars. Ever listen to the OnStar commercials? So much more can be done than simply unlocking the doors for you remotely when you lock your keys inside. Think about it.

*Snip*
*Snip*
Reply to
Phil Indablank

Reply to
jetster

Actually....they do...of a sort..

Anyone who is worried about so called Big Brother tech in your cars....sheesh....what is next to worry about? Someone actually being able to listen to your cell messages? LOL

Reply to
CBhvac

Yep I can totally see this happening in the US and it's bull$hit -

For example:

- My new car's computer has a black box that shows how fast i was going (and brake usage) before an accident, which an insurance company or court can obtain the info from. disconnect it? i doubt if i would be able to disconnect it too easily the way that engine management is wired. to me, that's a good case to keep driving an older model

- the traffic lights around where i live and most major cities have freakin cameras and spotlights so that even if I don't get pulled over, i may still get a ticket. I am not saying that that is so bad, because if i run a light i should be ticketed, but no wonder i am paranoid if driving fast.

Seems like slowly our freedoms are continuing to be taken away and that to me is a really scary future. Vote for your representatives carefully (even though sometimes I wonder if that still matters.)

=)

Reply to
Christopher Shea

Not just here...

Psst....its in most "older" models....Chrysler has a way now (for years actually) that we find very funny in the truck group to insure that lease vehicles are not being driven with the speedometer disconnected.....disconnect it all you want....when you bring the vehicle back in, the REAL mileage is in the ECM....and its pulled out with the DRB. Works good on warranty issues. It is VERY simple...this is going to create some issues for most people that are afraid of their rights..LOL..being violated. Personally, if you dont do anything wrong, you dont have anything to worry about, and since this magic black box that is so evil does NOT record but a few moments of data, its not like they are going to know you are running 140MPH and come get you. This is a case of if you ARE, and you screw up and kill someone, I hope its you and not someone else. And if you live, I hope you get caught and nailed. Stupidity is one thing, Ignorance is another. To worry about the govenment putting that on the vehicle means you must have something to hide. Go buy a new car and stop worrying about it. You screw up, you screw up. You pay....its that simple.

Umm..and thats a bad thing HOW? You call it an invasion of privacy? Sorry..its not...since you are driving, a privlege, NOT a God given right, on state owned roads, the state, just like you in your home, can put a camera out there and there isnt a lot you can do about it. You have a problem with the US and the way things are done? Try Canada...LOL!!! Or Australia..you think its difficult here...hell...for that matter...the UK...

voluntarily

Reply to
CBhvac

Not sure who you're replying to, but I've re-read this entire thread and cannot find any instance regarding either 1) a desire to lie with impunity, or 2) a box that is only read after an accident. The thread is about a person's car being stopped or governed remotely through use of the onboard computer system. It seems that you might be speaking about a "black box" recording system. Also, a lot of the talk here has been about taking responsibility for one's actions, so I don't think it has been an attempt to promote lying, especially without consequences. Your point about red light cameras and selfish people putting others at risk is well taken, and therein lies the question: do we all become monitored because of some? Maybe. As has been said, if you aren't committing a crime, what do you have to worry about? And that's probably about the way it will go.

Reply to
B Dragon

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I realize the main part of the thread deals with a zapper technology... but I am all but certain there was some mention somewhere of the already existing black box device.

The thrust about that was that the black box somehow violates privacy. I say it is only looked at by law enforcement or the courts in response to a legitimate investigation, and the box is far less likely to lie than the owner of the car that it was in. In fact, it may even help corroborate the story of the owner in contradiction to the other motorist(s) involved (in an accident).

The lamenting of the black box I believe was accompanied by a brief stab at cameras too. But I must confess, I cannot site the exact author or message. I will say though, that I believe I read some such here and was wanting to give my 2 cents on it. I am not intentionally trying to be off topic and am certainly not trolling for fish bites. If I am mistaken about reading such here, then my apologies to all concerned.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

Certainly you are not alone in being one who can make mistakes. I make more than my share. Thank you for the gracious reply, and your equanimity. I think this topic is pretty much over now for me, but it was worth being involved in just to have the opportunity to dialogue with someone as open minded and thoughtful as yourself. And, you know, in thinking about it, I recall something being said about black box technology too. Maybe I missed it when I retraced this thread, or maybe it was in another similar one, but while my interest is piqued, does this mean that current auto technology has implemented the black box into automobiles? Or is just the capability there?

Reply to
B Dragon

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:57:03 GMT, foolspicedham_melbo snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (SgtSilicon) puked:

And you're comfortable with relying on the testimony of the box to possibly send you to jail for a long time? I hope those little computers are more reliable than my home PC.

It's only a short slope away from determining that the images from those cameras are public domain, and from there a whole list of privacy issues can materialize. Call me crazy, but I'm one of those folks that like to have a little privacy. No one has the right to monitor my movement.

If you want to make the argument that driving is a privilege, fine. But walking on the sidewalk is a right, and no one has the right to video tape me without my consent.

In addition, in Florida they have kicked the idea around of using the SunPass turnpike toll device to monitor traffic patterns. This isn't much different in my opinion.

Ok, I can be a paranoid kook sometimes, but think of me when you appear on a government-sponsered version of America's Most Wanted as an enemy of the state. :)

lab~rat