Police remotely stop cars

Page 2 of 2
The technology is already installed from the factory on new cars. Ever listen to the OnStar commercials? So much more can be done than simply unlocking the doors for you remotely when you lock your keys inside.
Think about it.
*Snip*

the Black Helicopters are coming!!!!
: It started out in the race pits. : This article is from a British newspaper today. What's there today will be : here tomorrow, so get ready, because, like so many other things, it's going : to happen no matter what we say. We will no longer be masters of anything, : even our own cars. Cell phones are going to have automatic tracking : devices, and the computers in our cars are going to be used to give control : over to someone else whenever they think it is best for us. I hate it when : someone does something for my own good. It never works out that way. : : Police call for remote button to stop cars : : Motorists face new 'Big Brother' technology : : After speed cameras, road humps and mobile phone bans, there could be more : bad news for Britain's motorists. Police are urging Ministers to give them : the power to stop vehicles by remote control. : In what will be seen as yet another example of the in-creasing power of Big : Brother, drivers face the prospect of their cars being halted by somebody : pushing a button. : : 'Providing an effective means to remotely stop a vehicle is fast becoming a : priority,' Hammond told a European conference. 'The development of a safe : and controlled system to enable remote stopping has the potential to : directly save lives.' : : However, Bert Morris, deputy director of the AA Motoring Trust said: 'People : don't like the idea of Big Brother taking over their driving. In years to : come that might be acceptable, but it's very, very important that there's a : step-by-step approach.' : : Cars could be stopped by the gradual reduction of engine power so it slowly : comes to a stop, or by making sure when drivers come to a halt they can not : move again. : : The key is the electronics box in most new cars which, when the driver : presses the accelerator or brake, sends a message to the engine to speed up : or slow down. It can be programmed to limit the speed generally or according : to the position of the car, established via a GPS satellite. For remote : operation, a modem, which works like a mobile phone, can be used tell the : car to slow down or stop. : : Similar radio telemetry was used by Formula One pit crews to adjust the : engines of racing cars at up to 200mph - until it was banned this year. : : Another link is to technology which would stop cars going above certain : speed limits - either a fixed maximum such as 70mph, or varying according to : the local limit. : : Experts now believe the technology could start to be used voluntarily by the : end of the decade and ultimately could be made mandatory. : : : -- : I owe much. : I have nothing. : I leave the rest to the poor. : :

I didn't know they were into that kind of kink.
--
I am not your rolling wheels
I am the highway

I hope so. I'd have to call mine Barchetta. and that's just a wrong name for an f-body, even if it is red.

--
I am not your rolling wheels
I am the highway

Look at it this way. The internet evolved and some people abused it, by relaying through computers of people they don't even know.
Imagine what will happen if this does go the route you suggest.
Any of our wives could be driving down the road, and suddenly poof. Engine dies. Some neer-do-well walks up...well you can guess the rest.
Or, it's 3:00pm in LA/NYC/Chicago/any other traffic hell here, and suddenly a bunch of kids decide to play a big prank.
Think this is far fetched? Look up the story on CBS about how people are buying the devices meant to change traffic lights from red to green for emergency vehicles...
NOI
That's why I will not let go of '76 chevy pick up and my '79 Trans am. They have no computers.

Actually....they do...of a sort..
Anyone who is worried about so called Big Brother tech in your cars....sheesh....what is next to worry about? Someone actually being able to listen to your cell messages? LOL