Pop up headlight problem on 99 Firebird

Hi,
The pop up headlight's on my 99 Firebird are giving me a problem. When I go to lock/unlock the car with the key fob the headlight's go up and down and
then the right side light motor makes a horrible grinding noise for about 5 seconds. This noise also happens whenever I turn the lights off with the switch. Also now the lights pop up when I just turn the switch to park (they don't light up).
Help!
What could be my problem?
BG
If your lucky, remove the headlight motor and take a pair of vice grips and crimp the tabs of the motor body tight against the motor gear housing. If your not lucky you'll just need a new motor. The motors are self regulating, so if the gear housing becomes slightly loose it will let the motor drive gear slip and cause some of the problems you're having. This worked for me on my Son's on a 98 Firebird.
Rick

Virus Database (VPS): 000762-1, 07/30/2007
My 95 did the same thing as far as you could hear the motor on the headlight still run it is the gear in the motor. it is plastic and the teeth break you don't have to replace WHOLE motor just gear there is a guy who makes one for vettes (same gear same motor) out of brass. Will cost approx $65 i think with shipping new headlight motor is about $200 Good luck CJ

My 96 was giving me the same problem. F-body.org has a fix. what I did was just took out the assembly and swapped the drive arm 180 degrees. used a battery post puller to pull it off, it's on tight. They only use half of the plastic gear, so when you swap it 180 it uses the unused portion. Worked great and it didn't cost 200 clams at GM. The f-body.org says to take the motor apart,and swap the gear180. But then you have to epoxy it back together.
Dave 96 Trans am