Power window relays

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know where the power window relay is for a 1980 Trans Am, and what it looks like, I have pulled and tugged everything I can find and still
cannot locate.

Under the dash on the driver's side. It should just be hanging there. The yellow one is for the horn and the green one is for the power windows.
Dennis Smith
relays? there ain't no stinkin relays. they should be directly wired to the switches.
says...

Wrong once again I'm Right. The 2nd gen has always had a power window relay. You should know what you are talking about before saying something!
One thing is for sure ... you are NEVER Right! LOL! Why do you go back to SPAMing about your website?
Dennis Smith
Hi Dennis,
Friday June 10 2005, Dennis Smith writes to All:
> One thing is for sure ... you are NEVER Right! LOL! Why > do you go back to SPAMing about your website?
For SURE!
... A husband is a lover who pushed his luck too far!
actually I'm right is right....went to the dealership the relays were not part of the cars in 80, 77 etc yes perhaps, the window motors have relays built in and are wired direct...the problem I had was when I bolted the seats down I pinched a wire.....so now all is good
says...

nobody wrote:

    Where is BigJFig when you need him? Charles
My 78 had a small silver 30 amp relay in the same area as the fuse block.....
Stan
says...

that is a CIRCUIT BREAKER no relays in the door locks or window circuits
I have owned Camaros since before you were even born. I've rebuilt many from the ground up.
and once again a jealous little geek punk like you who hasn't even begun to shave can just go back to reading your nursery rhymes and leave us big kids alone.
says...

You're going to have to tell that to my '73 Trans Am and the '73 factory service manual and the parts book. There is clearly a relay in the wiring diagram, in the master parts catalog at the dealership and under the dash for the power windows.

And no doubt they were hack jobs ... first class rebuilds, south of the Mason Dixon line.
I'm Right, Ur WRONG!
Dennis Smith
I'm Right wrote:

    I was born in 1974. So you owned a camaro from September of 66 (1967 model release) to November of 74, or somewhere in that year range? Wow Big Deal, so did over 500,000 other people!
    I have restored my fair share of cars. I work on cars every day for my living, my hobby, and my kicks. I can take boxes and build you a compleate car from the contents. Big Whoop. Yet even with all my knowledge I still consult a Factory Service Manuial for correct info.
    Go yell at the idiots at AutoZone, your ranting might impress some lower then human wanna-be counter dweebs. Charles
as does my 77
says...

nobody wrote:

    First off. There should not be ANY wiring on the window circuit that runs under the seats. It will be in the dash, running thru to the doors. If you have counsel mounted switches, the wiring runs under the counsel.
    Second a Relay is a Switch. It is so the switch gear and cuits in the car only need to handle lower power, and the relay when sent a signal from the low power side will switch the high power side. I doubt the swithes in your 1980 can handle 45 AMPS.
    The lack of relays installed when adding circuits for power accessiories to cars is how people end up with wiring fires, melted down switches, and blown fuses.
Charles
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Charles, on a 2nd-gen the wiring for the console switch does indeed run under the carpet and under the drivers seat. The wiring starts at the kick panel, goes in a channel under the polished "Body By Fisher" trim, through an opening next to the drivers seat and over to the console. There are actually clips on the floor board to secure the wiring.
3rd-gens are also the same way but are done a little more safely by running the wiring through a plastic conduit over to the console.
Dennis Smith
Dennis Smith wrote:

    Dennis, If it were my car we were discussing I would reroute the wiring. I do not like to have wires where if the worst happens (rain water) finds it way in, it will soak the wiring. On any generation the floorpans are where water will collect, and eventially cause a corried wire (Remember I live in Ohio where rust & dead seals thrive). Charles
and I live in Ontario....and the wires were fine both in my 77 and 80, it was my mistake not watching where things went.....
Man this is nuts all I asked was a simple question cause my 77 has relays under the dash...the 80 does not....
Don't just guess cause you "Think" you are an expert.....and then beat the crap out of anyone else who offers an opinion...
Man O man
Oh yes BTW corried is spell Corroded
says...

Things would have went better had "I'm Right" not chimed in with his abusive and unlikable attitude. He has been a problem in this newsgroup and other auto related groups for a few years now. He typically belittles everyone and gives harsh comments on even the simplest of questions. He is also constantly plugging his Bought4TooMuch website.
A search of "I'm Right" on Google Groups will show you what type of person he is.
Dennis Smith
and how am I to know that?
So a guy like me who had a question, legit for this group, had to put up with this?
Think about that for a moment.....
No matter how you cut it....he was right....
Right?
says...

Dennis Smith wrote:

    Dennis          Anymore people just don't care. Some moron goes ranting, and they side with them because some idiot countman doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.
    This is why people leave the groups, and finding the advice one needs gets so hard. Charles
Dennis the Menace perhaps?
There isn't any power window relays. please learn to live with that.
You may impress the girly-boys at the Sonic or autozones with the 4 foot tall eractor set spoilers on the trunks of their 4 door, tinted windowed, fart pipe equipped boom boom stereo haulers.
And so I do sell quality merchandise at far better prices than what some huge retailers do like jc whitney, yahoo or ebay stores. And NO the stereos are not at bargain prices and Never will be. There are too many importers selling them at what they cost me to buy them. But you get no warranty with there products. No one offers a better cruise for less. And we have connections with most all AC manufacturers. As well as Electric-Life windows and locks.
So I do say go to www.bought4less.com and LOOK. maybe someone will see what they want at the price they like.
No one is FORCING anyone to visit there. Its not a pop-up or pop-under or ever been spammed in email.
So grow up, and get a life.
says...