Problem

I changed my fuel filter and my spark plugs and wires, and checked my distributor cap and rotor during a tune-up. When I went to take the rotor off, I took off two screws that held the metal part in place (the metal
circle around a metal star that rotates inside the distributor, not sure of the name of this part) thinking that it held the cap in place. That thing got turned all around, so I put it back in what I thought was the right place, but not before turning the crankshaft to watch the distributor spin (simply out of curiosity). Now I'm thinking that since the distributor is in place, there's no real danger of changing the timing by turning the crankshaft, because the rotor is designed to fit on the distributor only one way, right? And the distributor should still be in the proper position. So I put everything back together, and I'm now getting a loping/surging during soft accelerations (but when I put the pedal to the metal, it accelerates fine) and an occasional backfire (popping sound coming from the exhaust, that's backfire right?). I've been having problems with the alternator making a loud rumbling sound (even though it is still putting out enough juice to run the car and keep the battery charged). Is it at all possible that the alternator is causing the loping/surging? I'm pretty sure I got the distributor and distributor cap back together properly, but this problem sounds very distributor/spark-plug-esque. I'm hoping it's the alternator (who's been making that rumbling sound for some time, but now that new spark plugs are in it, the sound is more pronounced). Any ideas? Thanks, -Ben PS It's a 1990 V6 3.1 L engine
--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
So I played with my distributor, and I moved the metal circle that I mentioned earlier back to its original position. But now I have a peculiar question. When I was getting the loping, I seemed to get more power on hard accelerations, while loping and little power on soft accelerations. Now there's no more loping, but less power. What could this be and where can I go to learn more about the ignition system and ignition timing issues? Thanks. -Ben

of
one
So
during
problem
spark
FSUguy wrote:

    That metal ring is the magnetic pick-up for the distributor shaft. Turning it 180 degrees out is Never recommended. Basically by turning it 180 degrees out it was messing with your timing.
    If you really wish to learn automotive repair, and how to do it properly. I suggest you take some either adult education classes or some college classes. With modern electronic controlled cars you have to have a good idea of what your doing. Else wise you can make some very expensive mistakes. Even professionals make those at times.
Charles

Yea, ended up breaking down, had it towed to a mechanic. I must have clipped a wire in the distributor. $490 for a distributor replacement, and I'm still not getting the power I should be getting... sigh. -Ben

Isn't the backfire firing into the intake, not the exhaust? Don't play with the timing. I had similar problems with a Ford V6, but I think its due to faulty electronics.