Quadrajet Secondary butterfly question

Gas Milage? We dont need to stinking gas milage..

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (151k and going... getting worried) 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L w/5-Speed (No T-tops though) Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops or parts from one
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

Lol.. yeah I know.. have a prof that had a 72 Firebird.... said he just watched the gas gauge drop with a short slurping sound when his kicked in.. lol

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (151k and going... getting worried) 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L w/5-Speed (No T-tops though) Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops or parts from one
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

You guys might remember a few months back that I was looking for a spring for the upper butterflies on my daughter's Firebird. I've got the carb off and am overhauling it now and have the spring on properly so she'll have the secondaries operational.

Is there a spec for how tight to set that spring? It determines when the secondaries open, more tension will keep them closed longer and require more vacuum to open them. I just set it approx. the same as another Quadrajet I've got, but is there a spec for how it's supposed to be set - like maybe 1 turn after the spring contacts the arm or something like that?

Thanks, Kerry- who doesn't think his daughter will use the secondaries much when she sees what they do to her gas mileage!

Reply to
Kerry

Kerry I found from the point of no tension, another 1/2 to 3/4 turn works perfect for mine. I set that from Doug Roes book.

Bruce

Reply to
BarracudaDesigns

LOL Kitt.. I said the same til this week when I hooked in my newly rebuilt carb... with the secondarys just flapping away.. heard the expression.. watching fuel gauge move to empty ... literally watched mine do just that til I made the final tuning adjustments to it.

Reply to
BarracudaDesigns

Thanks guys. I bought a carburetor kit and just finished overhauling it, while I had it off I figured I'd at least put a few new parts in it and clean it up. The kit had the specs, it said 1/2 turn for my engine (350 Olds), some of them were 7/8 of a turn so I set it to 1/2 and we'll see how it goes. I just warmed it up and let it run for a few minutes, we're about to take a test drive.

Hey, it's her gas money now! ;-)

I know what you mean, though. I had a '67 Firebird and I used to tell everybody I didn't need a tach. Fill it up before the race, hit 2nd at

3/4 tank and hit 3rd at 1/2 tank!

Thanks, I'll let you know how her first time around the block with operating secondaries goes.

Kerry

BarracudaDesigns wrote:

Reply to
Kerry

We took it for a spin earlier, it's a good thing we live out in the country...sorta. She punched it and it jumped up to 50mph before I made her quit (in the neighborhood, speed limit 30)

So, it looks like it worked! She said we'll see how it does in the morning when she get it on the highway. We also fixed a few other things while we were at it, the driver's side window wouldn't go all the way down (she had routed the mirror remote under the window), and the clip that holds the rod on the handle so the door would open was off so we fixed that too. She needed a little help with that, but she did change the dimmer switch by herself. She was proud of our progress today and even more proud that she doesn't have to roll down the window to get out of the car now!

So, it was a profitable afternoon. She came out when I was working on the carb and said she felt left out because I was doing all the work myself, so she started working on all those other things while I finished the carb.

You can see her car pix on her web site at:

click the Cars link. We took a few today but she hasn't uploaded them yet.

Thanks for all the help, this is a pretty handy newsgroup! Kerry

Kerry wrote:

Reply to
kmiller

I "LOVE" AL!

scambron

Reply to
scambron

Um, yeah, she told me she updated her web site but I didn't know she had Weird Al on the front page. Maybe I should check it out before I post her link next time! There's no telling what she's going to put on there next, but at least she does have pictures of my old '67 Firebird and her

77 'bird.

I don't claim any responsiblity for any of the other content, there's no telling what she'll put on there next. Hopefully nothing "too" offensive, but you know how kids are...

I just don't understand where she gets that cocky attitude! ;-) One of her recent favorite songs is called "If That Ain't Country" because it has a line about a redneck girl who has a "Trans Am with a trailer hitch".

OH, and yes, she said she's REALLY enjoying having all 4 barrells working now...

Kerry

scambr>

Reply to
""kmiller"

Did you say "Trans Am with a trailer hitch".

I got one!

Also, I like offending (thin skin).people.

scambron

Reply to
scambron

I sent her the link, she'll love that! She doesn't mind offending people either, and I just don't know where she gets that either...

;-) Kerry PS She said her car got on the highway a LOT better this morning on the way to work, I think I've created a monster!

scambr>>>

Reply to
Kerry

I guess next comes fixing the "gas gauge" problem... *GRIN*

Reply to
Andy Warren

Good luck. My T/A got 5.5 mpg on 100 octane on the old engine. ;^)

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

Before the transmission went south, my T/A (403 CDI) could pass anything BUT a gas station.

Reply to
scambron