Question about Plastic on Dash

I have a '94 Z28 that (like most) has an inaccurate fuel gauge. Mine shows 1/4 full when it stalls due to being really empty. I've heard that a simple fix is to twist the fuel gauge indicator on
its pivot...sort of like the hands on an old wind-up clock. But, the quesion is, how do I get at the indicator, when the clear plastic cover for all of the instrument display is in the way? A one hour plus disassembly from underneath, and back again?
Specifically: Can the clear plastic cover be "popped out" and replaced without damage, exposing all the dials? If so, how?
Alex

If the instrument cluster is anything like the 3rd gen firebirds, the plastic cover is screwed to the instrument cluster and even if it wasn't, the bezel is in the way to get the cover off. You could drill a hole.
-Bruce
I don't see any screws; it is of course a 4th generation car, and I'm not sure what the 3rd generation plastic cover looks like.
I think the hole is large enough to slip around the bezel, or maybe the bezel unscrews...I didn't want to mess with it or break it unless someone with experience advises me.
Alex