Re: 77 Trans Am engine rebuild questions

Kerry,

> > Most cams in the duration we're talking about have valve lifts of about > .450", usually have a little more lift on the exhaust side. Dual pattern > cams work real well with stock heads. Stock heads typically need more help > on the exhaust side if you're trying to improve the Volumetric Efficiency. > > John Lingenfelter suggests running 1.6:1 rocker arms on the exhaust side > and 1.5:1 rocker arms on the intake side with small block Chevys to improve > torque. I don't know much about Oldsmobile engines specifically though. > > I definitely wouldn't exceed 215 degrees duration at .050" though. > > I went too big on the cam in my Camaro (followed recs from cam maker) and > I'm not real satisfied with the powerband. It screams at 3500+ but its a > dog down low. > > You don't want to make that mistake IMO. > > Good Luck,. > > Roy

OK, that sounds reasonable. Just curious, what did you use in yours that was too much? I used a .510/.520 lift and 308 duration and it was way too much for a stock torque converter on a TH350. Rough idle too, no bottom end but screamed at higher rpms.

I got some micrometers from a friend last night, going to start measuring things tonight, ordering crank and cam probably tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info! Kerry

Reply to
Kerry