Re: convertible molding installation

Is that clip in your photo bent ?

I think they are supposed to be flat. I have a 68 Fischer Body Manual that I got when I got my 68 LeSabre convertible. It says all the windshield molding clips were held on by a rivet stud on the bottom molding and some kind of snap retainer for the side pillar & top molding. Seeing you have screw holes - yours might of been modified by a previous owner / body shop.

Where the molding attaches to the clip, that portion of the clip angles away from the window channel. When the clips are installed in the window channel The U shaped center piece is what the screw goes through.

The way you have your clip in the picture, the left side of the clip is what will attach to the top edge of the top molding. The bottom edge of the molding just sits across the glass.

Hope this helps. A glass shop might also be able to advise you.

Good Luck

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 301,650 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Hey,

The clips are not bent, they are brand new from Year One. I have no idea how to mount them to the car, if its screws or studs. Why they were removed in the first place is beyond me.

The main problem is the only holes I have found, there is three or four on each side (I'm not near the car right now) and about 4-5 on the top, they all face towards the windshield and not out and away from the car. The clips cannot be installed with a screw or stud facing in the wrong direction.

I'll try the windshield shop idea, and look for more holes, but what are the other holes for?

Thanks!

Reply to
Brian

First thing you need to do is get the Fisher Body suppliment for Convertible top F-cars & the correct F-car service manuials by GM/ Helm Inc.

These books will answer your questions better then any expert not standing next to you & the car.

Year One, whom I have delt with before, is a great company. They have empolyees who actually restore & work on cars. I have called them before for Tech advice on a part, they have even lead me in the past to vendors with O.E.M. parts they did not carry.

So try giving them a call as well. Im sure they can offer you so assistance.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Figured it out!

Looked at my 72 Nova SS, its not a convertible, but you never know, and it turns out the clips do face into the windshield. Only one side of the clip contacts the molding.

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
Brian