Re: Gas prices aren't dropping

Page 1 of 2
gas is still cheap, just be glad you dont pay buck fifty for a liter like rest of the world

I'm never happy when fuel prices go up.
I guess you all know fuel prices in Europe are higher, but I don't think many people know how much higher : it's 1 euro/litre and 1 gallon = 4.54 litres.
So we pay $4.54/gallon and recently here in Belgium the government is considering to increase the taxes on fuel drastically (!) in an attempt to reduce the many traffic jams, the government figures high fuel prices means less cars on the road.
No, I'm not happy either.

If the government isn't careful, they will be forcing everyone to go back to the horse drawn carriages. Higher fuel cost equals higher fares for public transportation. So who actually wins? Noone, gasoline companies lose, automobile companies lose (except when new hybrids and fully electric cars are in full production). When those types of vehicles are in, the traffic jams have returned.
Here to get cars off the road they are increasing other fees...and making tickets MUCH more expensive and adding other penalties.
For instance, here in Pennsylvania, this year there are 2 new laws regarding tickets in construction zones: - you now must have your headlights on. If not, you get a ticket, about $100, well, acutally all fines are coubled in a construction zone, so figure $200. -And this past monday they started this one: get caught speeding at 11 or more MPH over the limit and you will lose your license for 15 days, plus get a fine, doubled of course.
this is to save lives. I think that is a good idea..until you find out that there have only been 2 fatalities in teh entire state in conctruction zones in the past 5 years, and none for 2 years...
chris
wrote:

Crispy
Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid.
I think that is a good idea..until you find out

I think its a good idea if they fine you 10 times the amount of a regular fine plus 6 months in jail if you drive like an idiot thru a contruction zone. It could be one of your/my family members that gets killed !
this is to save lives NO SHIT!!!!

would
time
That's why petrol is so (too) cheap in the US. Try tax at USD 2 - 3 per gallon.
DAS --

We try not to legislate who'll drive based on their income bracket.
The Vampire, "Muffin Man"
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.

Dori Schmetterling wrote:

"Too" cheap?
Please.
bp
Don Schmidt wrote:

Most people don't realize that in "real" (i.e., inflation adjusted) terms, gasoline was at an all-time low price in late 1998. Of course, crude oil was also at an all-time low then (about $11/barrel - or 26 cents/gallon).
And per-mile cost of operating a vehicle in the US is near an all-time low. Car prices are actually coming down in nominal, as well as real terms. For example, and entry-level Saturn cost $12,000 in 1997, but today an equivalent car costs $11,500.
Gasoline taxes in the US are one of the few taxes that are more or less appropriate: both the feds, and most states, set the tax at a rate that is sufficient to generate about enough revenue for roadway maintenance and expansion.
bp
Compare the rise in gas costs vs. the rise in health care costs over the same period. I go to the doctor, sit in the waiting room for an hour. Go back to the exam room, sit for 1/2 an hour. The doc comes in and takes my temp, asks what my symptoms are and writes a script. His total time invested: 15 minutes. My cost: $60...in addition to the $300/mo I pay for insurance. Hey, is there another profession where I can make $240 an hour?

per
Not to mention high legal insurance premiums in the US, as I understand it. (Unfortunately these are rising in the UK, too. The Brits are getting more litigeous; maybe that's not a bad thing.)
DAS --
Don Schmidt wrote:

Indeed. And don't forget the salaries of the secretaries and accountants and sales reps whose time can't be billed out. I certainly don't begrudge entrepreneurs the profits they make from selling other people's labour. Hell, how much of the risk did I take?
Sooner or later, I'd like to be in my ex-boss's shoes, but the ugly truth is that for every consulting firm that makes it, 4 or 5 fail. It's not an easy gig.
bp

Shhhh! Don't say those things! Everyone _knows_ that business owners are all greedy so-and-so's who ought to be paying 100% of the gross business income out as salaries. Just ask the AFL-CIO... ;)

per

tanks
that
Barry, Explain why 13 wells had to be shut down in the Lake Tahoe area one of the pristine areas of the planet. From what I've read locally MTBE is cheap, but of coursed still raises the cost of fuel. No need to let a little poison screw up the bottom line.... Dale P..........

Explain why the EPA has pulled back on their recommendation of MTBE and has sued the fuel companies for MTBE contamination of groundwater? The EPA ought to be sued for mandating MTBE use in the first place!

And that is why gas costs more, right? Because it is cheaper to manufacture? You proved one of my points already.

of
Environmental
gives
Industrial
nearly
What email? Isn't this the usenet?

it
Prove it. Please reference your statement to current medical records.

Your statement: "> Was it bad the MTBE got into some water supplies? Yes. Did it hurt the

Your statement says that it did not harm 95% of the people. So what happened to the other 5%? Changing your story and backpedling?

Added CO(1) and HC? I was saying ozone, but if you want to change the subject so you sound like you actually know what you are talking about, fine. Post a link to some independent test results. Post a link to information stating that injuries related to ozone have DECREASED since the introduction of MTBE. That is what I'm asking for. Too bad you didn't understand that.

Nice how you edited out my links to reliable information and the excerpts I posted proving you to be wrong. Your still dribbling,
Brian
Led Sleddin' wrote:

Gas doesn't cost more. The component that is left after taxes and crude prices is about the same. It has decreased to some degree because of technology improvements, and increased to some degree due to increased regulatory requirements. Adjusted for inflation, it has been fairly mean-reverting, although not without significant volatility in some markets.

My e-mail address is quite clearly a university. Hence, it is unlikely that I work for an oil company.

You do understamd that cars do not create ozone, right? That they produce precursor chemicals, such as Co and hydrocarbons that react in the presence of sunlight and oxygen to create low-level ozone. Do you understand that?

The California Air resources Board is quite clear about the benefits that have accrued from the use of reformulated gasoline.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/cbg/pub/cbgbkgr1.htm
Are you claiming that there is no benefit to be had from using RFG? I believe the American Lung Association has a lot of good information on the health hazards of low-level ozone. But I'm not going to do all the work for you.

That statement doesn't make much sense. Do you mean "you're still dribbling", or are you referring to a leak from a distillation device? If you are, the phrase should be "your still is dribbling". But I don't own a still.
I apologize for being snarky if English isn't your first language.
bp
Led Sleddin' rambled on about something in
<Snip>
Re: MTBE's. Didn't CA outlaw them, or quit using them a few years back? Something (IIRC) about them causing cancer...
NOI
Sounds like this whole group is singing from the same prayer book. Do you all have energy stock per chance... In 1951 you could buy a gallon of gas for .19 to 21 cents ( I was there) and your average 51 Cadillac could get about 16 to 20 miles per gallon. Some later models in the late 60's and early 70's got lousy mileage more probably in the 8 to 12 mpg range. Comparisons to European fuel costs are bullshit their problem is 90 percent tax, and they're are goofy enough to go along with it. They think its normal because they have been getting hosed for so long they think it's normal. The Enron lesson sure didn't go far with you folks..

per