Re: Gas prices aren't dropping

Page 2 of 2
You forget that the US gets most of its petrol from North America and Venezuela, not the Arab states. If we had to depend on OPEC for the majority of our supply, then we'd be paying at least what you guys are
paying at the pump.

Sorry, wrong. Our 'problem' is taxes, as Dale Petersen quite rightly pointed out. What's more, for some years the UK was a net exporter of crude, but that had no effect on fuel price levels
Whether we are being 'hosed' is another question. It's just another way of raising taxes, as the amount flowing into government coffers has long been far greater than being spent on roads.
Actually in many European countries it is thought that there is no further need for new motorways as they simply generate more traffic.
BTW I personally don't agree with this and believe, as far as the UK is concerned, that lots of the decision-making politicians don't spend any time on Britain's main arteries, observing the heavy goods traffic going unecessarity slowly because of SWOT (sheer weight of traffic) (and never mind the passenger cars).
DAS --
Weland wrote:

Nonsense. The world oil price is set by OPEC, and everybody pays the same price(*), regardless of who they buy from. Crude oil landed at Houston or pipelined across the Canadian border costs the same as oil landed at Rotterdam or Milford Haven.
bp
(* With small variations for product quality and shipping costs)

I wouldn't call it deregulation but over regulation. The utilities were forced to sell off all of their generation capacity but restricted to buying power on the short term market. I don't know how anyone bought into that as the spot market is where the big bucks are made. That's why all those old simple cycle peakers are still in operation. Inefficient as anything but the price of the power they generate is astronomical compared to long term contract power.
Dave
On whose part? The government's? Think about it next time you go into a hospital you don't pay zillions in insurance premiums for...
DAS --
why do we in the US bitch about $1.80/gal of gas that comes from Arab oil? milk from your local US farmer gets you for $2.50 + for a gal gas is relatively cheap considering how we get it, and where we get it from. lets stop buying pickups, hummers and SUV's before we start bitching. if we REALLY cared we would all drive a motor cycle or GEO. i knew my WS6 was a semi-gas hog so i don't care what gas gets to. it was my choice

I would drive a motorcycle or geo for just jettingaround town, but there are those hummers and SUVs out there. If an Excursion hit a GEO, what would happen to the GEO after it landed 50 feet away, much less the person inside? Even a light (4,000 lbs) SUV would totallly kill whoever it hit in the GEO. I personally like the idea of hybrid and electric vehicles myself, save until the hydrogen fuel cells come out and are readily available and refuelable. I'm curious as to if they will have diferent grades like we do with gasoline? How would they rate it anyway, by purity or would it be all the same?
Brian