Re-installing the power steering pulley on a '92 Camaro

You guys helped me with removing the pulley and I thank you. I didn't bother asking how to re-install the pulley because I didn't think I would get this far. But here I am...and I can't figure out how to get the thing back on. The puller I rented from Autozone also includes an installer and a skinnier bolt. I assume I need to use these and not the puller itself, but how? Thanks, Andy

Reply to
That_Damn_Kid

The installer screws into the shaft of the pump, then you screw down the big disc to press the pulley onto the shaft.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I got it. That was a hell of a job just to replace a bracket. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
That_Damn_Kid

I hope this post goes through,

since last night I can't post.

When you bought your puller, you received the part that the bolt goes through, the two half sleeves and the outer sleeve and a washer.

Now, just use the main bolt, the part that the bolt goes through (The puller head) and a washer between the pulley. Tighten the bolt into the pump shaft fairly well, but not with an impact or animalistic force. turn down the puller head, and the washer most likely brass, will allow the slippage needed to allow the pulley to go on when you turn the puller head in the proper direction.

It's as simple as taking it off. Also, I find lubing the shaft with some white grease makes it much easier to install the pulley.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks Refinish King. Once I understood how to work the installer it was pretty easy. And after I was finished I returned the puller/installer to Autozone and got my $40 back. How cool.

Reply to
That_Damn_Kid