Re: Roller tip rockers?

What cam would you recommend? Supposedly the bottom end was recently rebuilt .030 over. The heads are 6X and appear to be off a 1976 400. It has the Edlebrock Manifold and Edlebrock 600cfm vacuum secondaries with electric choke. It runs pretty good right now but it does suck the gas with that 4:11 rear end.

> Should I and what would I gain by putting on a set of 1.65 roller tip > > rockers on my 69 Firebird with a 350. The 350 has been somewhat built, its > > bored 30 over got an Edlebrock manifold and 600cfm carb and an HEI ignition. > > It also has a big cam but not sure what it is but it must be big as my > > manifold vacuum is only about 12 and I don't have any vacuum leaks. > > Compression test showed between 117 to 121 in all cyclinders. > > > Judging by your compression test, I would start by taking that "big" > cam out. Stock 350s typically show 155-165 psi when cranking. It > looks like someone rebuilt it using low compression pistons, then > stabbed in a big cam. The result would be a soggy, fuel-swilling boat > anchor. At this point, the motor needs more compression. > > The engine in my Camaro cranks at 205, which is a bit extreme. For a > daily driven motor, it should crank at least 175, and preferably not > over 200. BTW, if everything else were to spec, a set of FULL roller > rockers would help. Roller-tipped ones really aren't worth the money; > the pivot produces all the friction. A set of Comp's steel full > rollers bumped my idle by over 300 rpm, and that was with the stock > ratio. That's how much friction is in the stock valvetrain. Good > luck. > > Ken
Reply to
Jeff

Cam depends a lot on if you have an auto or a manual with that gear ratio... What we'd really need to pick a cam is full specs on the engine. Get in touch with the previous owner and try and figure out what you've got. Then let us know and we can help more. In general, though, with a manual, my 74 TA

400/4spd is "drivable" with a Comp. 292h cam, lots of head work (4x), headers, stock rockers and shitty carb, but doesn't idle for shit and fouls the plugs if you don't let it run on a regular basis. I'm thinking a single plane intake and fuel injection will solve my issues and want to go full roller rockers while I'm at it. It will slide you up the back of the seat through first and second gear if you keep it above 2500 rpm, as it is. But with an auto, you'll also need to work with converters and all that... Like I said, need more info on what you've got and what you want to use it for. I'd definitely stick with stock ratio on the rockers. You're better off since you sound like you might want a cam change, anyway. You might want to consider moving down to 3.73s in the rear as well, unless you're just racing.

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man