rear end makes noise

Hello again.

Got another question about this 87 firebird I'm looking to buy.

The original owner put in a new rear end (not sure what gear ratio) . When I test drove it, it make a kind of whirring noise. The current owner says that a lot of aftermarket rear ends make noise when installed but are otherwise fine. Is this a known issue with this model Firebird?

TIA!!! ^JR^

Reply to
^JR^

The gears were likely not set correctly. Once they have some miles on them that way, even re-setting them correctly probably won't make it go away. Only new gears properly set will likely cure it.

Reply to
JimV

Thx for the info. You think this might turn into a problem down the line?

^JR^

Reply to
^JR^

I changed mine..I hope it was right. Check it out first ..Blazer uses a posi rear in the 4x4 that worked in mine.. lots of them at the wreckers if you have to change the rear diff / pinion.. The blazer I grabbed mine out of was

Reply to
Chevrolet

What you put in was a EaToN brand Gov-Lock, Locking Rear Differential. Not a "Posi" or "Positraction" Unit. Being a "Newbie" you doubtfully have no idea how to properly shim it.

S-10 EaToN Gov-Lock's are the budget minded Locker for F-cars. S-10 came with gears ranging from 3.08 to 4.10/4.11 depending upon: Engine, transmission & number of drive wheels. 4 Cylinder trucks are normially

4.10/4.11 or 3.73. 2.8 Trucks are normially 3.08 or 3.73. 4.3 4x4's are normially 3.42. You do see the odd 3.23 geared S-truck.

When changing Differentials, ring and poinion gears you must know the following:

Is the Axle Spline the same? (If not you may have to order aftermarket axles) Will the gear set and diff work in my case? (2.73 case will not hold

4.10/4.11 gears normially unless you use aftermarket gear sets.)

Then you must know: How to set pionion gear crush sleave depth. How to shim and read gear wear patterns. What to torque the carrier retaining bolts to, and some other fun facts. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
Chevrolet

If it's gear noise, it probably won't be a problem. If it's a bearing that's failing then it could be. Hard to tell without hearing and/or inspecting it.

^JR^ wrote:

Reply to
JimV

It is not a "posi wanna be" It is a Locking Differential(a.k.a. "locker"). Learn and understand the differances.

I don't set up new or new to carrier diffs my self. A buddy of mine who has done over 500 in 20 years as a Dealer Puke, does them for me. Even with all his experiance he has messed up a few times.

As for Licensed. Aint no such thing. There is a A.S.E. Cirtifaction test. But that doesn't mean jack. I know pleanty of master techs I wouldn't let change my oil, let alone touch a wrench around me.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to