rear end makes noise

Hello again.
Got another question about this 87 firebird I'm looking to buy.
The original owner put in a new rear end (not sure what gear ratio) . When
I test drove it, it make a kind of whirring noise. The current owner says that a lot of aftermarket rear ends make noise when installed but are otherwise fine. Is this a known issue with this model Firebird?
TIA!!! ^JR^
^JR^ wrote:

them that way, even re-setting them correctly probably won't make it go away. Only new gears properly set will likely cure it.
Thx for the info. You think this might turn into a problem down the line?
^JR^

I changed mine..I hope it was right. Check it out first ..Blazer uses a posi rear in the 4x4 that worked in mine.. lots of them at the wreckers if you have to change the rear diff / pinion.. The blazer I grabbed mine out of was 3:73 but 3:42 is a common size. took me 2 hours to change (newbie at this ) but you could do it in1 hour if you know your stuff. cheers. I was told newer blazer around 88? had more teeth on the spline.. good luck

Chevrolet wrote:

    What you put in was a EaToN brand Gov-Lock, Locking Rear Differential. Not a "Posi" or "Positraction" Unit. Being a "Newbie" you doubtfully have no idea how to properly shim it.
    S-10 EaToN Gov-Lock's are the budget minded Locker for F-cars. S-10 came with gears ranging from 3.08 to 4.10/4.11 depending upon: Engine, transmission & number of drive wheels. 4 Cylinder trucks are normially 4.10/4.11 or 3.73. 2.8 Trucks are normially 3.08 or 3.73. 4.3 4x4's are normially 3.42. You do see the odd 3.23 geared S-truck.
    When changing Differentials, ring and poinion gears you must know the following:
    Is the Axle Spline the same? (If not you may have to order aftermarket axles)     Will the gear set and diff work in my case? (2.73 case will not hold 4.10/4.11 gears normially unless you use aftermarket gear sets.)
    Then you must know:          How to set pionion gear crush sleave depth. How to shim and read gear wear patterns. What to torque the carrier retaining bolts to, and some other fun facts. Charles
I didn't get in to EXACT details about the diff. It's as good a posi wanna be that you'll find. I'll keep everyone informed on how long the rear end lasts. Start a pool on how long it last before it blows. I had a friend come over this morning and he said everything is fine.. go figure.. a licensed mechanic who has changed a 50 or so , said it all looked fine.. not bad for a NeWbIe

Chevrolet wrote:

    It is not a "posi wanna be" It is a Locking Differential(a.k.a. "locker"). Learn and understand the differances.
    I don't set up new or new to carrier diffs my self. A buddy of mine who has done over 500 in 20 years as a Dealer Puke, does them for me. Even with all his experiance he has messed up a few times.
    As for Licensed. Aint no such thing. There is a A.S.E. Cirtifaction test. But that doesn't mean jack. I know pleanty of master techs I wouldn't let change my oil, let alone touch a wrench around me.
Charles
If it's gear noise, it probably won't be a problem. If it's a bearing that's failing then it could be. Hard to tell without hearing and/or inspecting it.
^JR^ wrote:

my rearend makes noise too, especially after mexican food

MUWAHAHAHAHAHA