rearend noise

I own a '93 transam. There is a noise coming from the rear-end. You can hear it at slow speeds usually after you have been driving for sometime. At cursing speed you do not hear it. It is a 'clunk...... clunk...' kind of noise. Any ideas what this could be?

Hopefully the rear-end isn't going out. There are no signs of any fluid leaking.

Maybe this is related but when I go over a large dip I hear a large WAM like something is loose. I always thought it was something in the trunk but it seems to be getting worse. ???

I need some idea's of where to start looking. Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

---it could be the exhaust is loose and rattling around.---

if its a clunk clunk noise that happened to me when the pinion gear inside the rear chipped and got louder as more and more chipped off. but im leaning towards the exhaust, also check and see if the emergency brake cable is bouncing off the drive shaft or bottom of the car. last but not least i used to hear a simular noise also coming from my rear driver side tire while going slow over bumps....never figured it out though.

All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....

Reply to
Hitman0187

Without much info to go on here, I'd be willing to bet on the upper shock mount bolt, based in what you've said. If it seems to happen whenever there's a bump or dip or any height at lower speeds, that's what it sounds like to me, from my experience...CHEAP FIX...Tighten the bolt, or replace it if needed.

I'd say there's about a 90% chance this is EXACTLY what the problem is, and since there's also a chance that if I'm right, it'll cost you NOTHING to fix...check it out first. ;)

Reply to
ElectroPig

Reply to
Matt Scoff