Removing 2000 Trans Am radio

Ok, I've got a Monsoon CD player that's toast (keeps giving error messages when I put a CD in), so I guess It's got to come out and go to the Delco repair shop. Question - how do I get it out of there? I've never torn into the dash on this car, and don't want to bust anything. Anybody that's done it, how about a tip or two?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Samsonite

The trim surround is held in by 4 clips - one in each corner. They're "push-in pop-out" type - you need to use a knife or something (I used a feeler gauge) to detach them and the whole thing pops out one corner at a time. Then it's 4 7mm trim screws and a couple of wiring connections and you're done.

Don't forget the lock code if you have one. Don't know if the shop will reset it and you'll need it once you kill the power.

Oh yeah - disconnect the battery if you have any doubts if you can do this without shorting anything. Cheap insurance.

Hopefully this makes sense. Pry gently and you'll see the idea.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

For the cost of repairing the factory head unit you could probably get a really nice aftermarket unit installed for you.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

I've done it on a 2001 Camaro based on good web sites I found on how to change radios. The information I found was accurate and useful. Later I bought the service manuals which validated what I already has done. Anyway, like I said, I have the 2001 F-Body manuals. I presume there is not much difference between 2000 and 2001.

Okay I just looked in my book. I'll tell you the steps. It is just as easy as the Camaro. Too bad I only have text here not pictures but anyway...

  1. Unsnap the instrument panel (IP) trim plate. Okay, this is the trim plate directly around the radio and the climate controls below it. I suggest just slipping a butter knife under it and gently go around it and pry it off.
  2. Remove radio bracket bolts. Alright, these are hex head screws which go through the side tabs of the radio and into bolt holes in the frame of the dash. Simply unscrew them and remove.
  3. Slide the radio out of the IP. Just like it says. Now, there will be some wiring connected to the radio, but all wiring ends in connectors which are detachable from the radio.
  4. Disconnect the following components from the radio: The IP wiring harness connector The CD changer connector The antenna cable

The IP wiring harness connector and CD changer connector are separate connectors, but the wiring of each is bundled together a number of inches from the ends. While we're on the subject, you should get yourself a 12 disc changer off Ebay for cheap and install it. That's what I did. The other end of the CD changer control is taped up under your carpet in the rear of your car! If you do decide to get a CD changer, I can offer tips on installation. Anyway I'm getting off topic. Now your radio is completely disconnected. Install a replacement in the reverse order you took out the old one.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I removed a perfectly good head unit (cassette deck, not CD) and replaced it with an after market CD/MP3 player. Everything worked great, for a little over a year. Then I started getting the sound cutting out and in. Then more often. I popped the original head unit back in to see if the problem was in the after market head or the rest (wiring, amps or speakers). Problem went away, stayed away. That showed me my after market head unit was having trouble. That's when I went after a Delco 12 disc changer off Ebay and installed it. No more MP3, no more dash CD changing, but I can load 12 at a time anyway and now I have my speed compensated volume and steering wheel control back! Whohoo! :)

Reply to
SgtSilicon

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:59:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (RSCamaro) puked:

Isn't the security system run through the stock stereo or something?

lab~rat

It's easy... The trim around the radio just pops off. There are 2 screws that hold the radio in. Unplug the wiring harness.

Reply to
Camaro Cowboy

I replaced everything in the stock stereo system and my anti-theft still works.

Reply to
Camaro Cowboy

Reply to
Samsonite