Removing the MAF from the equation

Hi All: I have an 87 Formula with a faulty MAF. For now I have it unplugged but instead of replacing it I was wondering if it is possible to remove it from the equation and just put a tube in it's place. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Shawn.

87 Formula 82 Z28
Reply to
Shawn Murri (Home)

Do yourself a favor and replace it. Just the savings in fuel will be worth the cost. You can always try a junk yard piece for less than the cost of new.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Yes, you can "upgrade" to a 1990 or newer ECM that uses MAP sensor instead of a MAF sensor.

You can do as you propose but as RS said, you'll make up for the cost of the MAF in the fuel savings. You'll probably also be running rich all the time. This will burn up your catalytic converter.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

When my MAF died I tried running it unplugged. Yeah it ran great for a while, but I found after it warmed up it would stall really easy after I stopped for a stop sign and started to go again. It was running pretty rich and flooded itself. Replacement (rebuilt) only cost CDN$120 and new from the dealership CDN$215 so it's well worth replacing. And you can do it yourself, it's only a couple clamps, then pop old out and new back in.

Reply to
Merius

Well thank you everyone for the info, everything I was told up until now is that I would be paying over $400 for this part. If I can find one for $200 I would certainly replace it.

SMurri

Reply to
Shawn Murri (Home)