Replace master cylinder? 88 GTA

Hi, I need some help. Me and my friend were working on the rear brakes in my 88 GTA and he ended up ripping the boot/seal inside the caliper. I had the car towed to the nearest garage thinking that I will only need to get a new caliper and then my brake pads installed, so no big deal. I left the car at the garage and called them the next day after they had checked it out. They said that I need to replace both calipers and the master cylinder. I understand getting both calipers replaced at the same time for sake of even wear and tear on them, but why the master cylinder? I asked why and the guy said that the broken caliper drained all the fluid from the master cylinder and broke it. That doesn't sound quite right to me, especially since very little fluid was lost while me and my friend were working on it and we only pumped the brakes 2-3 times afterwards to see if there was any pressure left...the car was not driven at all after we got started. My brakes weren't that bad to begin with either. I called another friend of mine who works for GM and he said that it sounds like the guy wants to replace the master cylinder because it's easier to do that rather than just fixing what is broke.

So my question is, does it sound like I need to replace the master cylinder? I only planned on spending about $100-200, and now I stand to pay $500 for what they want to do.

Any help/suggestions/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
TEN OLDMEN

I can't imagine replacing the master cylinder and calipers is easier than just replacing the calipers themselves. Just tell him to replace the calipers and be done with it.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Why not just get a caliper rebuild kit and do it yourself?

GLK9MM

are you sure he said replace master cylinder, i am sure at most it would need to be bleed. Tell him caliper only and go F off. All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....

Reply to
Hitman0187

Unless your master cylinders rear side was already bad, what you did would not hurt it. Even with a torn seal in the caliper, itshould not have drained the rear camber in the master cylinder.

The calipers your car uses are known for 2 problems: Seizing park brake, and not wanting to wind in for pad replacement. I have had simular problems on other GM rear calipers. Especially W car rear calipers.

When replacing both rear calipers on a car, I locate the flex hose for the rear brakes, and using hose pinch pliers, close it off. This prevents the rear line, and master cylinder from running dry. Making bleeding a quicker process.

My advice is: either take your car else where, or just ask them to fix what you brought it in for. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Thanks for the replys guys. I called them up and said calipers and brakes only.

Reply to
TEN OLDMEN