Replacement Head-unit

While I love the sound of the Bose system in my 96 SS, I'd really like to replace the head-unit with an AM/FM/CD/MP3/CD-Changer Controller. Two shops have told me there's no problem keeping my self powered speakers because they sell a $100 adapter electronic and a $15 wiring harness made just for my situation.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
SoCal SSteve

Depends mostly on how much you want to spend. Eclipse and Alpine make excellent high end systems while something like JVC or Pioneer make pretty decent units with some decent eye candy features.

Reply to
BarracudaDesigns

I guess I should have been more clear. I think I know what I want. It's just that I'm not sure it's a good idea. How is the Bose system balanced to give such an effective stereo effect? Will I still have this if I switch out the head-unit?

Two shops have told me the unit I've described below will work great, another says any upgrade to a non-factory system will destroy the Bose speakers - even with the purpose-built adapter. Opinions?

There's also the appearance factor. It's not going to look like it belongs there... Opinions?

My current factory head-unit still works fairly well, the CD player is just getting a little worn out. I'm on the road 3 hours a day so it's either this or carry my MP3 player in the car.

Any opinions?

********** I'm sort of thinking possibly the Poineer Premier In-Dash CD, MP3, WMA, WAV Receiver. (DEHP760MP) It's the only one that comes close to doing everything I want. I'll list the specs below. The main reasons are 1) it has knobs, 2) it's XM upgradable, 3) it's a changer controller, 4) it plays MP3s and WMAs, and 4) it has 3 sets of preouts (required - one for the fronts, one for the rears and one for the sub). Later I'll add a Pioneer 12 disk changer in the back (sadly they don't make a changer that will play MP3s, WAVs or WMAs).

*********************************************************************************************** Specs: Premier CD Receiver with Organic EL Display, MP3/WMA/WAV Playback, BMX Digital Compression, EEQ (Easy EQ) with EQ-EX/SFEQ, MOSFET50, XM-Ready, Supertuner IIID, IP-Bus System Control, Steering Wheel Remote, Pop-up Rotary Volume Control, Flap Face, and Detachable Face Security.

Supertuner: Supertuner Supertuner IIID XM Radio Ready

24-Station/6-Button (18FM/6FM) Presets BSM (Best Stations Memory) CD Player:

1-bit D/A Converter 8fs/16-bit CD-R/CD-RW Compatible MP3 Compatible WMA (Windows Media Audio) Wave (.wav) Compatible AGC (Automatic Gain Control) Disc Title Memory CD Text CD Text IP-Bus (Changer Control) BMX Digital Compression Audio Section:

MOSFET50 (50W x 4-channel High Power) Equalizer EEQ (3-Band Parametric) SFEQ EQ-EX Source Level Adjuster (SLA) Loudness 3 Mode Selectable Fader HPF Crossover Subwoofer (LPF) Crossover RCA Preouts 3 (2V) General:

DVD Control DVD Control Detachable Face Security Flap Face Flap Face Organic EL Display Blue and White, 128x33 + 24x33 Spectrum Analyzer Level Indicator Soft Key Operation Steering Wheel Remote Control Rotary Volume Control Pop-up Wired Remote Input Cellular Mute Face Case (Included) Warranty 2 Year

http://www.electr>

Reply to
SoCal SSteve

[...]

thats right $100 -$150 is parts and ADAPTERS ARE REQUIRED. also, nothing is cut so restoration is as simple as plugging the old one back in.

I'm Right

Here's a sight that makes a flush mount for you HU....

Just a thought

Reply to
boeing

All you should need is the wiring harness and a head unit install kit. I had the monsoon system and replaced the head unit with no problem. It still wasn't loud enough for me so later I replaced speakers, added amps and rewired the entire system.

Reply to
Camaro Cowboy

Reply to
SoCal SSteve

Reply to
SoCal SSteve

Reply to
SoCal SSteve

Here are a couple of places that sell car audio adapters for different applications. Research there to get better answers. I actually called PAC and they told me I could simply swap my head unit and did not need their adapter. Just wiring harness and mounting kit (which they don't sell). But it depends on which year Monsoon you have etc. I have a 2001 Camaro. The amps in my monsoon system expect speaker level signals which works fine with a replacement head unit which delivers the correct wattage range and can handle the impedance of the load.

Try:

Companies that make mounting kits and wiring harnesses and such are Metra and Best.

Try:

(used to work but isn't right now) Many of the fbody web forums also have good info on the subject.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

That's BS, I've got a Nakamichi 6 disc (in-dash) changer that sounds great with the factory speakers. I listen to all kinds of music, which is what the speakers seem to be designed for (i.e. not just classical or just thumping base). My Tool CDs sound great, so I guess I'm good to go :)

~w~

2001 Firebird Formula Corsa Powerpulse RSC catback SLP: airbox lid, MAF, bellows, Y-Pipe Mobil-1 (Corvette) oil filler cap
Reply to
Weland

Reply to
SoCal SSteve

You can still do that most likely. Check out PAC's SWI-X device. It intyerfaces your car's built in steering wheel radio controls and converts them to your head units IR control signals.

SgtSilicon