Replacement Ideas for Delco Bose Headunit

Hi all! The CD player in my in-dash Delco-Bose system in my 96 SS is dieing fast. I really don't have the money or desire to replace everything. In fact I like the factory Bose speakers. I'm thinking about an aftermarket headunit unit that will support MP3s and maybe XM radio and CD changer in the future.

Circuit City says no problem there's a harness for $30ish that adapts the dual line-outs from any good quality (Alpine or Pioneer) head unit to the factory Bose amplified speakers. Any word on if this is any good? Does it sound and look ok with the mounting kits they sell?

What they are trying to sell me are the Pioneer HEHP5500MP (320ish installed out the door with taxes, harness, and kit) or the Alpine CDA9807 (430ish installed out the door with taxes, harness, and kit). Any opinions? I've always liked Pioneer for their reception but it's been a long time since I bought a head unit.

TIA!!!

Reply to
SoCal SSteve

I don't recommend going to circuit city unless they specifically tell you that they will not cut any wires. And even if they do, you'll have to check their work after they're done which would mean you may as well save yourself the money and do it right yourself. I've heard and seen many hack jobs by circuit city and best buy "installers". I suggest you do more research and if you're willing, do the installation yourself. You can also consult the sales representatives at crutchfield.com. They're very helpful. I don't suggest buying from crutchfield as their prices are usually higher but the plus is you get excellent customer service, technical service and installation instructions as well as mounting brackets and harnesses for your particular make and model. I've had technical service stay on the phone with me and walk me through a part of the installation before. Of course this was more than 5 years ago so it's possible things have changed. Good luck,

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

first stay out of beastbuy,circus city and wallyfarts.

Go to a LOCALLY owned car audio store.

Schosce, Blitz-safe, Peripheral, etc all make Head unit adapters that make it a PLUG IN installation.

Reply to
Im Right

If you don't mind installing it yourself, run (maybe scream to) from Circuit City, then jump on the web and go here:

Apparently a much lower price than Circuit City, unless they charge you

150 bucks to install it. Of course, they do not include the harness so you may have to get that as well, they do however claim all of their parts are new and not refurbished.

FYI: I am in now way in bed with eTronics.com, a simple Google quick brought em' up.

Hope this helps!

BTW - If you do get it installed, please post back what you purchased and how it sounds, I am in the market as well but have not made a decision on what head unit to get.

SoCal SSteve wrote:

Reply to
Chaotica

Thank you (all of you) for your help. The breakdown at Circuit City for the Pioneer HEHP5500MP is $215 (plus 8.25% tax) with free installation, $50 for the mounting kit (sky high), and $30-50 for harnesses (they didn't have a price handy).

The Alpine is $279 plus tax, plus $45 installation, plus $50 for the kit, plus $30-50 for harnesses.

They claim that the harness kit eliminates any and all wire cutting, but I'm wondering how funky it's gonna look.

I like the Pioneer price and tuner, but the Alpine has some cool features I'd like.

Anyway I'm still thinking on this because of budget and keeping it original issues. On the other hand I really like the ability to stuff

10 hours of legally purchased music on a CD. As soon as I decide and get It done I'll let you know.

Reply to
SoCal SSteve