replacing engine

ok, anyone knows the law in Calif about replacing engines?

Would like to replace my 305 TBI with a 350 TPI

thanks

Reply to
Why Me

Should be no problem as long as the new motor meets original smog specs.

For details, Call CARB.

nb

Reply to
notbob

In California thats a HUGE no no. You aren't allowed to "modify" anything that may affect emissions.

Reply to
Hitman0187

Hello:

Federally, for over ten years. The law has stated it's is a Federal Violation to knowingly alter or disable any emissions related device. Anyone caught violating this law will be fined not less than $10,000.00 or imprisonned for no less than one year and or both.

I'd preferr my exit to stay just that, E.X.I.T!

Not withstanding the fact Homey don't got no tin thousan dollas!

LOL

Reply to
Refinish King

That's the key phrase, "effect emissions". If you want to yank the 305 and replace with a 350, it's perfectly ok as long as you make sure the emission system meets CARB specs. The law states you must update emission reqs to the newest year, be it car or engine. IOW, if you have an older asperated car and want to put in a newer TPI engine, the final configuration must have all the emission components of the newer engine. Conversly, if you put in an older engine, it must have all the emission equipment a 350 equiped car of the same year, whether your car came with such equipment or not. It used to be you could use aftermarket speed equipment if the components were CARB approved. But, I'm a little out of date on current rules. That's why I gave CARB's website.

nb

Reply to
notbob