Save my Sanity. Someone must Know !!!

Getting frustrated here. I've looked in my CHilton's, and went to the Pontiac dealer, and a Shell station mechanic. Lots of different answers.
My question is : What is the awg of the red wires on my 88 GTA that the fusible links from the starter feed into ???
The dealer mech said they were 10 awg ! The Shell station mech said they were 16 awg !! Some people on 3rd gen.org said they were probably 12 or 14 awg !!!
There are 2 red wires are going into a connector. The other side of the connector is a single fusible link, which apparently is 16 awg because there is a 16 on the connector next to the FL end . The other end of the connector has a 216 on it. Maybe that means 2 16 awg wires ?? The 2 wires on the other end look like they could be 16.
DOES ANYONE KNOW !!!!!! ???????
Staright jacket, please.....
quit your whining, cut the fusible link and take it to the dealer and compare. Does everyone have to do everything for you?

Pontiac
the
they
or 14

there is

has
other end

Thanks, Mike. I've looked at 3 different wiring diagrams in Chilton's, Motor, and Mitchell manuals. Unless I missed something, they never mention the awg of the wires, just the color. I never saw a legend associating a color with an awg, either. Frustrating. Thanks for the link and the and the 78 T/A experience.
John