Service Engine Soon Light - 2000 Camaro SS

Well it figures ... my extended warranty on my 2000 Camaro SS ran out in March, here is the end of May and the Service Engine Soon light is on and will not turn off.

The only thing I had done was turn off the shock sensor, because it was going off for no reason and that was over 3 weeks ago without the light coming on.

Car seems to run fine and gauges appear to be working.

I disconnected the positive side to the battery for a minute and restarted light is still on.

Now, I noticed I have a Check Engine light as well as SES light.

Is this worth getting looked at?

Reply to
buzzsaw

First things first. Make sure your gas cap has a good seal. And yes, get it checked if the light does not go off. You've got emission problems. (Well, your car does at least...you might too, but keep that to yourself.) ;)

GLK9MM

That gas cap is worth checking... I (or should I say my daughter) drive a '98 Malibu, the check engine light started coming on (hadn't happened for a couple months!) I took it to have the code read, turns out the fuel/emissions code was going off because my daughter wasn't tightening the gas cap enough. I had put in a locking gas cap because some cars at my daughter's high school have mysteriously had sugar put into their gas tanks! At least I know my daughter actually bought gas for the car...

Terry '98 Malibu (daughter's car) '68 Camaro 383 stroker (dad's car) '00 Saturn SL1 (mom's car)

Reply to
Terry

Sugar in gas tanks causing damage to an engine is an urban myth. Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. At least not enough to cause any damage. If it does do any damage, it's because the car has nothing protecting the fuel system from debris. That would mean the fuel system does not have a fuel filter. The other detriment is that the gas tank is filling up with something other than gas.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Enough Sugar in the tank will cause a issue. If there is any water in there the sugar will dissolve. Sugar is very flamible, and can cause odd ignition for a internial combustion engine.

Sugar will also turn gasoline stale, will clogg fuel filters, and fuel pump pump up screans. Stale/Bad Gas makes Fuel Injected engines run like crap untill it is run out and a tank or two of freash fuel run thru. A clogged fuel filter can leave you stranded, and a clogged pickup screan on a electric fuel pump can burn out the pump.

Another thing, unburned sugar in the cataletic converter over time could ruin it.

Basically anything in the tank other then the intended Fuel, or Fuel Additives can be harmfull, or not good for the car.

Charles

Knowing what I know now, if I were a juvinal I would add about 8 to 10 Gallions of Racing Alcohol to the gastank. Not only will it eat at the rubber seals, it might just put a hole in a piston.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles, damn if I had just known you back when I was a teenager.... I never thought of racing alcohol! Worst thing I did to a car was help a friend siphon gas OUT of a car and then put it in his Trans Am.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

I think the worst I ever did Was flip someones car, and push it on it's roof. Little Grand Am, like a 86 ot 87. Used a 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 and a recovery strap (20,000 pull, 10,000 basket). Rolled it over on the passengers side, was still Pissed off, rolled it on to the roof. Was still pissed off. Drug it out of the driveway into the middle of the raod when I wised up. People were watching, Dealers Tags are handy though. Too bad it takes so long to get a Re-issue. I aught to stop before I incriminate my self.

BTW: there is this type of Wood Alcohol that a person could use. A customer got some from a chemical supply shop to try and cheat on emissions testings. After 100 miles it ate the seals out of the fuel pump, and the adheasive that holds the plastic baffles in the fuel tank. That customers $20 buck mechanic viset aviodance cost him $550 by the time it was done. New Tank, New Pump, New Tank Straps (rusted out). Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig