SF connectors on a fourth gen

I have a question concerning the installation of sub-frame connectors on a forth gen Camaro. I'm not sure if I understand where the attaching points are. If they are welded to the front sub-frame, does that mean dropping the engine out the bottom is no longer an option? I know it is possible to remove the engine from the topside, but I have been told it is actually easier to go out the bottom like the factory recomends. I also know bolt in connectors are availible, but welded in is the much prefered method. Can I get a set welded in and still be able to drop the motor out the bottom?

Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

"Gary - KQ6RT2" wrote: > I have a question concerning the installation of sub-frame > connectors on a > forth gen Camaro. I'm not sure if I understand where the > attaching points > are. If they are welded to the front sub-frame, does that mean > dropping the > engine out the bottom is no longer an option? I know it is > possible to > remove the engine from the topside, but I have been told it is > actually > easier to go out the bottom like the factory recomends. I also > know bolt in > connectors are availible, but welded in is the much prefered > method. Can I > get a set welded in and still be able to drop the motor out > the bottom? > > Gary

F-bodies have subframes in the front and unibodies in the rear. Unlike a Chevelle, where the frame went all the way from the front bumper to the back bumper, the Camaro subframe goes from the front bumper to a point approximately under the front seats. The rear half of the car has the ?frame? built right into the sheet metal structure of the car and is not removable in the traditional sense. I cant remember if the fourth gens have leaf springs or not. But on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen cars, the frame connectors goes from the rear of the subframe to the front of the rear leaf spring, thus strengthening the connection from the subframe to the unibody frame. Weld on frame connectors will provide more strength, but not that much more. (Are you building a race car or a street car?) Bolt on frame connectors can be more appealling because if /when you go to sell the car, if the buyer doesnt like them, he can remove them. Bolt-ons are something you and a buddy can do in a day in the driveway. Just be careful to completely and safely support the car first. Good luck.

Reply to
arocars

cant remember if the fourth gens have leaf springs or not. But on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen cars, the frame connectors goes from the rear of the subframe to the front of the rear leaf spring, ======================================= both 3rd and 4th gens have coil springs front and back.... 1981 was the last year for leafs....

~John

John King

First, third gens have coils in the back too. No leafs.

Second, sub-frame connectors add a LOT to the rigidity of an F-body, third or fourth gen.

Third, weld-in (or bolt-in then welded) are preferred over solely bolted in SFCs due to the fact that a welded joint won't vibrate loose, elongate bolt holes, and allow movement like bolted SFCs eventually do.

Fourth, the vehicle needs to be sitting with the suspension loaded and properly supported to prevent tweaking of the subframe. The ideal installation method is with the aid of a drive-on lift. Throwing them on in the driveway is just asking for problems unless properly thought-out first.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Fourth, the vehicle needs to be sitting with the suspension loaded and properly supported to prevent tweaking of the subframe. The ideal installation method is with the aid of a drive-on lift. Throwing them on in the driveway is just asking for problems unless properly thought-out first. ======================================

...very important fact....

~John

Reply to
John King