Some Minor Glitches?

Hey all its another post from an '80 Z28 owner...

I recently put the car on the road, it stickered fine and drives awesome for the most part. However, there is a few small things that grab my attention and I wonder if anyone knows the extent of work needed to correct them:

1st, the carbuerated 383 stroker motor will stall when I put her in gear if the motor has not been run for atleast 10 minutes. This is my first carbuerated car, so I'm not sure if this is normal-or if there is a problem. When the car has been warmed up it runs fine and wont stall at all, even if i accidentally start her off in 3rd...

Next, if I turn the wheels all the way to the left or right it makes a loud screech noise that almost sounds as if i went over a speed bump with a crappy suspension or something. This really sucks because it makes the car sound like a P.O.S. when pulling in/out of tight parking spots. I checked and the tires do not rub against anything, and they are the stock rims/tires. The power steering fluid is a little above full, but I'm not sure when the last time it was changed or anything like that. Is this a simple fix or do I need new front shocks/springs? If thats the case, does anyone know how much they would be for higher/ stiffer front shocks/springs?

Finally, my windshield wipers do not shoot any fluid to the windshield. They move as they are supposed to, but when I push the wash button nothing happens. It appears that all the hoses are connected, but maybe someone reconnected it improperly or something. Is there anyway to check what would be wrong here?

Reply to
80 Z-28 work

You may just need to give it a little extra gas to pull out with a cold engine. Or quickly rev the engine (on and off the gas real quick) to disengage the fast idle.

That sounds like a slipping belt, probably the power steering belt. It wasn't uncommon in cars of that vintage. You either need to tighten that belt or apply some belt dressing.

Either the nozzles or hoses are clogged or the pump isn't working.

If there is absolutely nothing coming from either side, the problem is more likely the pump. You would need to check the switch and all the wiring and connections from the dash to the pump.

If there is a little flow from one or both of the nozzles, then you probably have some sort of dirt of crystallization clogging the nozzles. A piece of foreign matter that is not much bigger than a grain of sand can clog the nozzles in some of those washers.

Tom S.

Reply to
Tom S