Steering wheel vibrates...

Hi, I have a 97 camaro. When I hit the brake, specially at highway speeds, the steering wheel vibrates. Any idea of what can be the reason? Thanks

puked:

Hit any speedbumps lately? -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
maybe warped brake rotors?
I would lean more toward warped brake rotors. Have you ever driven through a puddle after driving for a while? If so the rotors heat up and when hot metal gets slpashed with cold water all kinds of unintended magic appears. Repairing this problem could mean new rotors. Try having them 'trued' and see if this makes any positive change.

How do the front tires look? Cupped, uneven wear, etc.
Warped brake rotors. 4th gens are notorious for that.

I'd put 90 to 1 odds on warped brake rotors (probably front brake rotors). Its a cheap and easy fix... You can have them turned (i.e., ground back into spec) for about $10.00 per rotor (i.e., per tire) or you can buy new ones at autozone for about $25.00 per wheel. Another option would be to order a set of drilled performance rotors off ebay or Summit racing for about $140.00 for all 4 wheels. But id say it does sound like a warped brake rotor.
d666e wrote:

officespace2 wrote:

Another point to remember, is throw something hard and heavy and anyone who puts your wheels back on and doesn't use a torque wrench. That will cause them to warp every time (and even if done right they still might).
--
Cy Welch
89 Camaro RS 5.0 TBI