Steering wheel vibrates...

Hi, I have a 97 camaro. When I hit the brake, specially at highway speeds, the steering wheel vibrates. Any idea of what can be the reason? Thanks

Reply to
HS

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:41:31 -0400, "HS" puked:

Hit any speedbumps lately?

lab~rat >:-)

maybe warped brake rotors?

Reply to
FBodyFreak

How do the front tires look? Cupped, uneven wear, etc.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Reply to
d666e

I'd put 90 to 1 odds on warped brake rotors (probably front brake rotors). Its a cheap and easy fix... You can have them turned (i.e., ground back into spec) for about $10.00 per rotor (i.e., per tire) or you can buy new ones at autozone for about $25.00 per wheel. Another option would be to order a set of drilled performance rotors off ebay or Summit racing for about $140.00 for all 4 wheels. But id say it does sound like a warped brake rotor.

d666e wrote:

Reply to
officespace2

Another point to remember, is throw something hard and heavy and anyone who puts your wheels back on and doesn't use a torque wrench. That will cause them to warp every time (and even if done right they still might).

Reply to
Cy Welch

I would lean more toward warped brake rotors. Have you ever driven through a puddle after driving for a while? If so the rotors heat up and when hot metal gets slpashed with cold water all kinds of unintended magic appears. Repairing this problem could mean new rotors. Try having them 'trued' and see if this makes any positive change.

Reply to
Bubba Gump