Strut Tower Brace

Does anybody know if the Edelbrock (part# 5227) strut tower brace will fit on a 1985 Z-28 4bbl 305 H model? Or do you know where to buy a STB that will fit a carbureted 305 Camaro? I hope I don't have to fabricate my own -- that could be trouble!

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Don't know if it will fit but I can think of plenty of people who would take the Edelbrock unit and modify it if it was necessary. Is the part in question made to fit a TPI engine? Seems to me the only problem might be the air cleaner clearance.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Some of the places I see them for sale, say they are for both the carb and TPI while some just mention the TPI. But they all have the same part number! I am thinking I may buy the Edelbrock model 5227 and if I have to, I will modify it. I hate to mess up the powder coat though!

Al

85' Z-28 305 4bbl stock Rochester (for now-emission laws) MSD-6A (leftover part I had from old days, no need to waste it) Edelbrock Performer intake SR Torquer Heads Comp Cam Xtreme 262 Hyd. Hedman Shorty headers Drivetrain and suspension and other modifications -- too much to write. Needs PAINT!
Reply to
Ztwoeight

I would just change the carb air cleaner but it probably wouldn't pass emissions where I live. Emissions suck HP and money, IMHO! :-)

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Have you tried e-mailing the customer support team at Edelbrock? Most performance companies have something like this to assist you in making the right part decision for your car or application.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to
RSCamaro

No I didn't talk to them but should have. Thanks for the idea though, but I already ordered it and will have to make it fit now. I think I got the right one, but I'll see.

Al

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Ever heard of returning something if it's not the right part?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Yes dumbass, I have. This is a hard part to find for my carbureted Camaro and I will modify it if I need to. Normally I try an make sure I have the right part when I order something, so I don't have to pay the return shipping. This is the best match I could find for what I want and I'll do my best with it. But thanks for your help anyway Sgt. The silicon must be between your ears!

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Hmm let's see. You post in here asking for information on what will fit your application. Before waiting for answers, you order something you hope is right. Then, you get a good bit of advice here that says hey, why not actually CALL UP the manufacturer or seller and get better information before ordering something. Funny you say that you try so hard to get the right part when you neither waited very much for answers here nor called in your questions. Instead you respond that hey, it's too late. You've already ordered and you're just going to have to make do and some how make the part fit. Oh yeah, and you are all teary about possibly messing up the powder coat in the process. So I point out, that it isn't too late to possibly get a better fitting part because you can still make that call to find if there is a better fitting part and you can still return the one you ordered. Then you call me a dumbass. You're a laugh a minute pal.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

You are a dumbass, you didn't give me any decent info, just a smartass remark. You just acted like I was stupid and don't know that I can return a part. I waited as long as I could stand to wait for any advice. Although how long I waited is none of your business. I just popped in here to see if anybody had a similar experience with my situation. No one did although one did try to help and I appreciated it, but I went on my own as usual. I placed the brace in the engine compartment and it appears it will fit with little if any modifications. As soon as I know for a fact it fits, I was planning on writing this thread an saying so for anybody that may need the info. I still will do that after I know if there are any problems or not.

I don't need any dipshit punk kid like you, telling me how to order or return parts! I didn't ask you that. Maybe I didn't wait around long enough for you, but who really cares what is long enough for you? So why don't you go annoy somebody else! Oh and as far as me worrying about the powder coat, I was just kidding around anyway -- dumbass!

Al

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Easy Al, this is generally a slow to get information group to begin with and there is no need to get upset, no matter what is said to anyone. Your comments make it sound like SgtSilicon hurt your feelings, which I'm sure that was the furthest thing from his mind. Maybe... :-)

It was good advice that he gave anyway. I can't tell you how often I've gotten the wrong part, the fault could have been mine or the dealer, and just put it on the shelf and not returned the part. Even though you may have to send the part back it still costs less than that $300 strut brace sitting on the shelf doing nothing.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to
RSCamaro

I wasn't upset that information was slow -- at all. I don't have a problem with that or if nobody replied at all. I just thought Sgtsilicon was trying to be a smart aleck, that's all. That's the way it came across to me. I mean everybody knows you can return parts and are not stuck with them just because you bought them. So it sounded like somebody trying to be funny and this time I just decided to reply, which is not what I would normally do. Just now and then when I'm in a bad mood.

If he wasn't trying to be a smart aleck then I am sorry if I offended him.

Al

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Sure Al, whatever you say. You haver definitely shown how smart, patient and willing to do whatever it takes to get the best fit you are.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Al, it just seemed like you were in some kind of "I only have the one option of the part I already ordered" mode. The comment I made about returning it was meant to be a rhetorical question, but also a legitimate reminder.

All day long I deal with technical issues and the people in my company who bring them. I have to deal, over and over with people who are stuck in certain modes that don't make any sense to me. So the rhetorical aspect of my question probably did have a bit of a slap in it. I can't do that at work so maybe I took it out on you. But, there also was a legitimate intention of just putting the reminder out there that it wasn't too late for you.

How do you like your brace? I put a BMR in my Camaro and like it bunches.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

OK, now I'm feeling bad. Wouldn't you know one of the rare times I decide to flame a person, it is somebody that didn't deserve it. It figures -- that's just my luck.

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get the brace on. I still have my subframe connectors to weld on and some brake work to do also. I'll probably do the strut braces first since they are allot easier to install than the subframe connectors will be. I'm about burnt out since I just installed the new cam and heads about a week ago. Also just got my A/C (I'm getting older) working with R-134a the other day, just about all new parts. Old R4 compressor was leaking and I haven't had the A/C working on it in years. I can't stand not to work on the car though and might be at it again tomorrow. It's in my blood again just like the old days!

Matter of fact it seems like I must enjoy working on it more than driving it lately. :-)

You said BMR? Are you talking about the sway bar by BMR or is it something else? The only new front end stuff beside the ball joints are struts and a Spohn wonder bar. I'll add to it as I go. I still need new wheels too. And did I mention needing paint!!! :-)

Al

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Yep BMR strut tower brace. Here are some links:

Company web page:

The brace I bought:
They have tons of other chasis/suspension stuff as well. No paint though. :)

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Nice looking TA! Yellow/black & red/black are nice looks IMHO. As far as I'm concerned just black looks good on cars! I bought my Z-28 brand new in 1985 and just never wanted to let it go, just because I liked the handling characteristics. So I will continue to improve on those characteristics a little at a time while trying to improve the looks as well. I am very satisfied with the HP gains that I am getting with the World Products heads, Comp cam, Edelbrock intake, and Hedmans! I'm having fun with that you know!

I had to deal with Edelbrock yesterday. The people I bought the brace from - autopartswarehouse.com - said that the brace didn't include my missing bolt hardware. Well the instruction sheet mentions the included bolt hardware, but there was no hardware. Anyway Edelbrock said they were supposed to be included and they would send them to me for free. So I have a few days to wait on them before I get to attempt to install the brace. So I did write Edelbrock after all. :-)

I'll let you know how it turns out and maybe give a link to my car pix. Just the engine because it will be too embarrassing to show the old paint job!

Al

Reply to
Ztwoeight

Hi Al. The car you saw is just a picture that BMR uses to show their product installed. It's not my car. I have a 2001 Z28 (sunset orange metallic) but do not have any picture(s) hosted yet. I might try photobucket. I'm sure when you get that Edlebrock bolt and such it will all work out nicely.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I thought I would update on how the strut brace installation went. This brace does not fit Camaro's with the A/C compressor on the drivers side without mods. I had to flip the brace upside down, which wasn't a big deal. I had to grind out some of the brace tubing over the A/C metal hose -- less than a 1/4 of the circumference of the tubing. So I think the tube is still plenty strong enough to do the job well. I also had to grind some of the top edge of the A/C compressor mounting bracket, that was the easy job with no problems. The on the back part of the strut brace on the firewall I had to get 1" longer bolts and cut two 1/2" pipes to 1" length. This was to lower the rear of the brace so the upside down brace ears would fit the strut brackets since they were angled. This might be the weakest link in the modifications. I would prefer a solid aluminum block with drilled holes. Maybe later.

It looks good, the hood closes (tight fit) and so far works well. So anybody that has the same setup and wants to try it, the job is pretty easy. You just have to bolt and unbolt a lot to get the fit perfect. I never have found a strut brace that is made for carbureted 305 Camaro's with drivers side A/C compressors. That doesn't mean there are no braces like that, but I never found one.

If I get some pix up on my web site I will give a link later on.

Al

Reply to
Ztwoeight