Surging problem......

Lately we have been having like a surging in Steph's '92 Corsica (I know.. not an f-bod, but thought I would give it a shot) when the car is going slower than 20... it doesn't happen all the time.. but it has been
happenning more now than before. Its noticable more when the car is slowing to a stopsign.. the car feels like you are pumping the gas pedal as you are slowing. What could cause this? Bad fuel pump? Tranny going? Torque converter? It has the 3.1L v-6 with 136k on the clock. Thanks
-Geno
Could spark plugs be a cause? Just found out that Steph told me last time she had it in.. the guy told her that they were going.. but didn't have them replaced... will look at them tomorrrow... but is that a possibility?
-Geno
0KITTvsKARR wrote:

Surging can be caused by a vacuum leak (intake manifold for instance). Spark plugs, wires or spark control system would be characterized by a rough idle, stalling, poor acceleration and gas mileage. I'm sure there are other possibilities considering the sensor throughout the powertrain.
Ask "the guy" if he had scanned the ecm / pcm (computer) for codes. If she has a bad wire or plug, it will show up on the scan. I think even transmission codes, if they exist, will be stored on a 92 (OBD1) computer.
Regards
Have had this (@ 3.1 V6) about one or two years ago. My surging did come from the injectors: they seemed to spitt some drops of gas after injecting.
Solution: I did drive more than 10 minutes fully floored (110+ mph). Then I did reset the PCM and after this some cruising and restarting the engine.
KITTvsKARR wrote:

    Start with this simple test: unplug the TCCS (Torque Convter Clutch Switch) plug. If this cures the problem, then it's the converter staying locked.
    If it doesn't pull the vaccume line off the fuel pressure regulator with the engine COLD & OFF. If fuel comes out the vaccume line then the diaphram is bad. If not, then test fuel pressure at the shreader valve. If you have good pressure check the EGR valve operation.
Really with those cars thats where I start. Charles
Well.. with this car.. I don't think the Torque Converter is an issue since Steph tells me she had this problem a couple years ago and the shop guy just unplugged it and said there you go. Apparently there hasn't been a problem until now.
Well catch ya later, -Geno 1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka TransMaro) 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed w/o T-tops (Still looking for an '82-'84 Trans Am w/T-tops!!)