T-top question......

Hey everyone... A quick update, I finally replaced the slave cylinder on the 'Bird and she really purrs now... runs like a charm.. just gotta start tackleing the
little things like no dash lights, no taillights (but brakelights), no wipers.. etc... but with removing the under dash pad I found a kill switch! With it flipped, key wont do a thing. Anyway, on to the question at hand...
A quick bringing up to speed....The '85 'Bird has a 350 rebuilt and bored 60 over matched with a B&W 5-speed. It does not have t-tops, and the a/c parts have been removed with the swap was done.I originally wanted to take the 360 5-speed out of the 'bird and swap it with the 305 auto out of the Formula (Which has T-tops). I just had a friend tell me his brother had a shot in Dubuque, Iowa.. 20 miles from me, do a t-top conversion for $400 for everything and guaranteed leak free... Now I haven't talked to the shop yet... but I have heard horror stories about car that were converted. Is it something to pursue? The problems I see are that it has a pretty powerful engine and a 5-speed transmission. Since the car didn't have T-tops as a factory option, it isn't reinforced. The body seems in much better condition than the Formula as well though. Any and all comments are welcomed.
-Geno 1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 350(360) 5-speed NO T-tops Still looking for an 82-84 T/A w/T-tops
KITTvsKARR wrote:

    Your Dashlamps and Taillamps should be on the same circuit. Start checking at the fuseblock then the dashswitch.
    As for converting to a T-roof. The ONLY way a third gen should be done is with a Roof Swap. This means having a Compitent Body man brace the body, and remove the roof at the factory seams, then install a T-roof from a donar car.
    T-Roof Third Gens have a extra back bone in the roof.
    If You want I can sell you a T-roof for a conversion for $400 including the T-tops. Although I would highly recomend using a Damn good body man (a real master), and installing sub-frame connectors first.
Charles
Charles Bendig wrote:

Not sure if I would do a T-top conversion on a 3rd gen, but my 4th gen T-top conversion was a breeze, as they all come with a T-top brace from the factory... :-)
I've seen one person try to do this on their 81 camaro, and the front windshield came down.... :-(
db wrote:

    2nd Gens have weak roofs. Even the factory T-toped second gens start sagging (not all but some). The wild thing is they made a few convertible second gens. Companies like ASC, not GM. I wonder how they braced the uni-body? Charles
I didn't know 2nd gens had a uni-body? Thought it had a frame.....
-Geno 1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 350(360) 5-speed NO T-tops Still looking for an 82-84 T/A w/T-tops
KITTvsKARR wrote:

    All F-bodys, and X bodies (novas) are Uni-body. First and Second Gen F-bodies have a removiable front sub frame. Third and Forth Gens have a Removiable Front Engine Crossmember.
    Chevy Vans from 1969 Up Have also been Uni-Body (Including Astro Vans) with a Removible front frame section.
    Ford Mustangs have always Been Uni-Body as well as the old ford Falcons too. Uni-Body has been around since the erly 60's. Charles
My 79 Trans Am had t's and loved them my 89 Camaro has them - awesum-
Just wish my 98 Dodge Ram had them!
:*) only $400.00 hmmmmmmmmmmm