Timing a TPI

I have a question about the ignition timing on an 85 305 TPI. I have always had trouble when I have needed to time the car. I know that I have to disconnect one wire that comes from the computer so that it is not advancing the timing electronically when I set it. Everywhere that I have read says that this wire can be disconnected above the heater box; it is the one that is haning out of the wiring harness. When I diconnect that wire and hit look at the timing light, the mark apears to be about 90 degrees off. If I try to align the mark on the pulley, the car will die. It is just too far off. The engine has been re-built, but I know the balancer is the correct one. I had the same problem when I first bought the car and tried to time it. Same story with the original balancer. Has anyone had this problem? Is there another place that I can disconnect the timing wire, on the distributer for example? I just replaced the cap, rotor, ignition control module, ... trying to get code 42 from popping up in the mornings. I would like to make sure my timing is correct. Any help would be appreciated. While I'm at it, anyone know what else could be causing code 42 on that car?

85 iroc 305 TPI 179,000 miles--tires spinning the whole way
Reply to
Will VanderToolen

It is a tan wire with a black stripe that you disconnect...... and it is on the same side as the heater box. You may find it snaking up behind the valve cover.

Reply to
John King

You know, I am wondering if you are actually on the number one wire? It sounds like you are on the wrong wire with the timing light. Make very sure you are on the number one wire, otherwise it sounds like the damper or timing mark may be off.

Reply to
Cyrus Welch

I think Cy Welch has the right idea. You have to be on the wrong bank of cylinders, or a wire off.

Always connect the timing light near the spark plug, not close to the cap. The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. so if your hooking the probe over the wires near the cap, getting number 8, which should be 90 degrees out (90 degree V8), would put your timing marks way off. The intake manifold is marked which cylinder is #1.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Thanks for the feedback. I am still having problems trying to time it. I am diconnecting the wire that is on the heater box, tan with black. The #1 cylinder on a chevy is the front cylinder on the driver side, if I am doing it correctly. I will try again this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks

Reply to
Will VanderToolen

replying to Charles Bendig,

I redid all gaskets and seals my buddy did for me and it ran fine now I had it put back together and it just spins sounds like timing is way off wondering if anything could have broke during r n r or my mechanic is missing something but my question is its getting gas n spark why no start and doesnt sound right trying to start sounds like the crank is free spinning with no ignition goin on in the engine please help with tips

Reply to
Visitor

When rebuilt did you get distributor 180 out. Bring timing mark on balancer up to 0 see where rotor is pointed. If not at number 1 may be 180 out.

Reply to
Patrick