tires

Page 2 of 2

I know... But it's what I do for a living, so I'm not trying to say I'm an artist or imbued with some special talent. I've driven in the worst conditions you can imagine and in a wide variety of cars, and I prefer not having ABS. I know where I am and through feedback, what I'm on and what I'm heading toward. The computer can only guess so well and has NO ability to anticipate what is ahead.

The thing is that, after driving post-ice storm here again, that the ABS forces you to engage it fully (mash the pedal) when it starts to engage, just to stop. And when only one tire, or two, is on ice, that's just not as efficient and the reaction time is way more a factor, at least to me. I won't miss driving the van for my Neon one bit...or even the Cutlass.
--
I am not your rolling wheels
I am the highway
"Bruce Chang" < snipped-for-privacy@swbellnospam.com> wrote in message
wrote in message > If abs put the car in neutral when it detected wheel lock it would kick ass

I sent in a message to the gm design team and they said their gonna try my idea of the abs using neutral. and if it works well they will add it in to the system !!
-- http://edmontonssin.no-ip.com http://gopherhunt.no-ip.com
--
i am the darkest creation of god

Sweet. Not sure if it would work so well, unless the system could mechanically react fast enough, but good that they will look into it.
--
I am not your rolling wheels
I am the highway

He may not have said it clearly, but I agree with him. Neutral is good in low traction braking situations. Taking the trasmission out of the equasion gives you a lot more control. Only time I've ever not been able to stop in time in the winter was because I had to lock the brakes because the rear brakes, even properly adjusted) weren't doing enough to stop the engine from turning them at that low speed, and I ended up rear-ending some girl at about 2mph. I learned real quick to shift into neutral if I felt any lock-up happening.
--
I am not your rolling wheels
I am the highway

Good advice in a "panic" situation. More useful not to actually panic, though. In most cases there is *something* you can do to avoid an accident. You have to keep a level head to see the way out, though. Humping the curb is one option. If there is no cross traffic and no one on-coming, simply passing by through the intersection is also an option, though a last resort. Honking might be useful... He might see you can't stop and be able to go, or turn off, so that you won't hit him (I've done that twice to avoid getting hit, but both times I got no warning, just saw in my mirror). If you don't panic, there is usually a solution you'll see without having to spend time thinking about it and unless you're driving recklessly to begin with, you generally have that time.
--
I am not your rolling wheels
I am the highway
"The Vampire Muffin Man" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comvVGrrVv> wrote in message If
there is no cross traffic and no one on-coming, simply passing by
Park it, get a beater for like $300! Make life that much easier. I've heard only bad things with F-Bodies and snow...

have