Trans Am engine code 544558

I have a 77 Trans Am with this engine code stamped to the right (passenger side) of the water pump. Is this the original engine or, if not, what is it's original application?
Thanks
On Dec 11, 8:15 pm, snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

That's not the engine code. I would guess that it's the VIN number of the car the engine was meant for--what are the last six digits of the T/A's VIN?
The engine code will be something like XA or Y7. See http://www.pontiacpower.org/engine.htm to decode what you find.
Another clue is the number cast into the centre two exhaust ports on the heads. I'd expect to see a 6X....what do you have?
Finally, if none of the above makes sense, does the oil filler stick out in a long tube at the front of the engine? Then its an Olds 403 and you'd have to chase Olds engine codes. A Chevy engine is also possible, but that would definitely be a swap.
....Ed