Trans Am vs Junkstang Shootout!

Ok, so this guys I know loves fords. He's crazy, I know. He thinks that his buddy's '90 LX 5.0 will beat my 96 TA LT1/T56 in a drag race. I want to know what all to expect when I race this guy. I know his entire rear suspension has been heavily modified for dragging, but he and I are both still going to run pretty much stock motor. My car has the throttle body bypass, cags eliminated, a 3" cutout before the muffler, and a hurst short throw shifter. Both the cars are Manual trannys, and I want to know what would be the best way to launch against this guy. I've been working on my launches(I used to drag with autos, not manuals), but my car always bogs as soon as I drop the clutch from

1500-2500 RPM's. I would also like to know an ideal shift point; I'm thinking between 4-4.5k RPM's, since my low end torque is where I'll get him. I'm getting Mickey Thompsons tomorrow, and I'm sure that will help out with the traction issue on my end. The rustang already has full out MT slicks in back, and suppossedly his car will lift an inch off the ground from a launch(the guys is an advanced drag racer). So, what I really want to know is, can I beat this blue oval boy, and if so, how?
Reply to
FBodyFreak

I hate to be a pessimist, but what makes you think his engine is "pretty much stock"? Hopefully not based on what it looks like. If he has slicks on it then it is not a street car, it is a strip car. If his suspension is heavily modded and he pulls the front end up, then you can bet his engine is not "near stock" How can you beat him? 70 more horsepower and some 4.11 gears to go with the M/T's. Wanna race my '86 305 pictured here:

stock huh? Even has a "Bog-rajet"It's not an 86 and that's no 305.Here it is on the dyno:
6500 ...surPRISE!!

Reply to
Andy Warren

What seems to happen is people build their engine then find out they need a better setup in the rear. Watch out for this car, its most likely quick.

Reply to
ksdg

CAGS elimination does not do anything for full throttle. Only part throttle, then you go from first to fourth.

What sort of traction problem are you having? what are your 60 foot times?

Normally when leaving the line a car will bog, lift, or lose some traction. A bog off the line usually means not enough air & fuel.

Now the Mustang being a LX means he has a weight advantage over a GT, as well as over your car. Not to mention if his car lifts off the line, he is getting full traction, and good 60 foot times. An experienced Racer with consistent times is hard to beat. Practice, working the bog out, going to 4.11 rear gears, put the car on a diet. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Ok, I found out that with the new rear suspension this guy has, he also has of course 4.11 gears; so that might make it a little bit tougher. I just had a catalytic converter go out, so I got some O2 simulators-- hopefully that will give me one or two horsepower. What I'm wondering is if you guys think I can still beat this guy. Even though he has a lower gear ratio(4.11) to my stock 3.42, I still do have around 100 horses on him.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak

I doubt you have 100 HP on him if he is pulling the front tires off the ground. With good traction and not enough HP, it would just bog down. You gotta have some serious ponies to lift the front. HD

Reply to
HoDad

I hope you're not betting any money on this. It sounds to me like he knows what he is doing.

Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

He's probably watched a few episodes of "Pinks" and has deletions of grandure. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

No money fellas, since I know a lot of people like to lie about what their car has done to it. And no, I'm not the number one fan of PINKS, although I do like to see the occasional beat down of mustangs and riceburners. This race is solely for bragging rights, since I see this guy everywhere, and since he talks so much trash. Still no answer; will I lose? If I can somehow get the jump on this guy, can I hold it? And lastly, higher RPM shifts(5,000-5,250) or lower(4,000-4,500)?

Reply to
FBodyFreak

If its not for real ! why dont you just race him and let us know how you get on ?

You can always have a re-match if he beats your ass !!

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Your power curve is a main factor of your shift points. Have you ever dyno'd the car? Where did your power curve begin/end?

Reply to
d666e

From the way you describe his car I doubt you will be able to take him, but give it a try. Do you have a real drag strip in your area?

I have a '96 Camaro with an LT1 and a six speed. When mine was completely stock except for a Hypertech tuner, I shifted mine at 6k. I had a best time of 13.57 @ 104mph.

Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

With out knowing your car, and how it prefroms, not how all prefrom. I cant say, especially when you can't answer questions like what your times are. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Judging by the info given, most likely yes. Possibly by a lot.

Hey someone had to say it.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:33:21 -0400, "SBlackfoot" puked:

Maybe he could race the guy 20 miles or something...

lab~rat >:-)

thanks for all the input guys, not sure when the race will be, I have to get my O2 sims in and he has to weld his traction boxes back in. Maybe I could convince him to run a slalom... but probably not.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak

Hey Charles. Been a while...

The times you mentioned reminded me how much I loved Test -n- Tune days. You got to see what everyone was doing, so when you ran across em later, you had an idea what they could do...

NOI

Reply to
noi

Yea it has been. Life got busy.

Around here TNT nights get so clogged with rice boys, some of the tracks are holding a different TNT night for cars 12.01 and faster. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig