V6 Firebird starting problems

I'm hoping I can describe this as accurately as possible. When I start my car(1990 V6 3.1L Firebird), it sometimes has a problem fully starting (i.e. it sounds like it is about to die, and then it will sometimes catch). Once I get it started and rev it one or two times, it'll stay started. If I put it in reverse, back up and attempt to put it in drive, it usually stalls on me. After about 3 minutes of driving, it runs fine. I also notice a lack of power when accelerating (especially uphill), and a decreased fuel economy. What should I check? I'm good at following the books' instructions for fixing stuff but diagnosis is a killer. Thanks in advance.

-Ben

Reply to
FSUguy

If you have verified the service engine light works. Either by seeing a code or seing it lit during start and driving then you may use a jumper as indicated in the chiltons to cause the light to flash indicating if codes are stored. My guess is probably the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) Looks like a plastic tube with wire in it between air filters and the intake manifold. Other option could be the idle air control valve in the throttle body.

Reply to
Narewski Family

On this:

My guess it would be the DIS module, and if you retrieve the codes, you'll most likely get a code 42, back up timing mode. Retarded timing will cause a hard start, until it starts a few times and gets the cylinders and heads hot enough to burn the fuel efficiently. Hence, the two or three stalls.

The retarded timing would fit the loss of power climbing hills also. The MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) manifests it self as a bucking, stalling at lights, or when you slow down. So I would scan the codes and you will most likely find a code 42.

But this is a seat of the pants diagnoses, as are all over the net. I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Doesn't DIS stand for Distributorless Ignition System? I have a distributor. Doesn't that mean I don't have a DIS?

Reply to
FSUguy

DIS can stand for Distributorless Ignition System. It can also stand for Direct Ignition System, where the coil packs have a shunt between them and the spark plugs, basically they sit on the spark plugs. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

The problem is I can't find any info in my chilton's or haynes about a DIS in my car.

-Ben

Reply to
FSUguy

Sorry!

Damn I keep making that mistake!

F Bodies have a distributor, but it can still be a module, or a pick up coil in the distributor.

Sorry again. ' Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Either manuial is nothing better then kindling for the fire, or as seat savors (may leave funny colors on girls rear's).

Get a Motor's or a Factory Service Manuial. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Ok, so last night, I go to work (delivering pizza) and after about 6 deliveries, I start my car and get going, and the battery meter shows that the battery is just above the yellow/black zone. It's dropping and not normal, and the battery charge wouldn't get better as I went faster. Could this be related or is this just another bad alternator?

Reply to
FSUguy

Oh, the exhaust also smells gassy (does that mean it's running rich?). Should I check the codes first thing? It's not flashing at me normally, but I'll check em anyway.

-Ben

Reply to
FSUguy

I once had an alternator die on my while driving. Battery fired those spark plugs for a little while but needless to say it ran REAL rich just before it stopped running completely. Nasty black smoke coming out and all.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon