V6 or V8 - help me decide

Page 1 of 3
Hello,
I have been thinking about buying a GM F car for a long time now. I'm thinking along the "you-only-live-once" line. What the hell. I cannot make up my mind in choosing a V6 or V8 model,
although I can say that I made up my mind as far as which one I'd buy. I definitely go for the Firebird/Trans Am rather than Camaro. I'm looking at the updated 1998-on versions. I would only consider manual transmission. I made a pro and against list. See if you agree. Pretty much whatever I consider pro with a V6 is the opposite on an against list for the V8 and vice versa.
PRO V6: - lower initial price - lower insurance premium - lower fuel consumption - more chance of becoming a four-season car - cheaper parts ? (I'm not sure, I have to throw that by you) - you can get virtually the same look for half the price - Ram Air doesn't excite me too much
AGAINST V6 - less power - fewer thrills - mediocre acceleration - 2/3 the power with pretty much the same weight
PRO V8 - more power - status (Corvette engine after all) - better resale value - more thrills - 6 speed transmission - that awesome engine sound - knowing that you can outrun most cars on the road
AGAINST V8 - fuel consumption - higher insurance rates - costlier to purchase - higher chance of car being abused by previous owner - must use premium fuel - speeding tickets add up fast
I can think of few other differences that make my decision hard to make, but I'd like to hear more from you, the owners. I left the question of reliability wide open here. Any help in making my decision would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Darius wrote:

the same upper intake but it is by no means the same. Not like the 70's.

The reliability is about the same for both the V6 and the V8.
My suggestion is get the V8 and you'll never have to second guess your decision.
    Martin     '01 Formula -    MTI Air Box Lid, K&N Filter, Hurst-6,             SLP Cold Air Induction & Smooth Intake Bellow             Corsa Catback     '83 V45 Magna

Actually, moreso. Different throttle body and different exhaust manifolds. The Cam is the same. The block is the same. The valvetrain is the same. The pistons, crank, etc... are the same. Check your shop manual... the engine section for the LS1 describes the handful of parts that are different between the Y body and F body... and they're stuff like brackets and oil pan.
Ray
Darius wrote:

    If Insurance costs, Fuel Consumption, or price of stock replacement parts really concearns you, Do Not buy a F-car.
    If you have to make a list to decide between V6 & V8, don't buy a F-car. V6 cars are for parts, V8's are for adults. Charles

I have seen them in the hands of kids way too often, bouncing between curb and boulevard. Filling up with R87 fuel, because they still have to take their date for a burger. I know I would be happier with 300-320 horses, but economics do play a major role unfortunately, therefore I have to think three dimensionally. As it is my wife hates the idea of owning an F-car, but I'm ready to get back to driving sporty cars after a short minivan stint, and my 4-year-old can fit in the back of the Trans Am.
____________________

Sounds like me that it is NOT the time to buy a F body. The wife hates it, and you are concerned of the economics of it all!
I was looking for an F body, set my mind on a Firebird/Trans am of some sort. I wanted all the engine and accessories I could get, but still wanted an automatic tranny. Economics were not in the equation! I still may buy one, but right now I am looking for a large touring motorcycle instead, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic more than likely. Greg
Darius wrote:

Take her for a spin in the TA you want - they're a lot more comfortable than the old ones were - even with the Ram Air they're "softer" than they used to be. The AC blows cold, the stereo works and the seats are great.
I have a 4 month old baby and I'm finally getting my TA out today from winter storage... I've been stuck driving a fwd Beretta after my Jimmy broke for the 100th time... but I am not giving up the TA. (Actually it's our car, the wife LIKES the Ram Air so it's not a problem... which is why I married her - I got Nitrous for an anniversary present.)
ok, gotta go... got a Trans Am that needs awakening. Too bad I can't lean on it because I've smoked the clutch... :(
But yeah, the F makes a lousy only car unless you're single and living in the south...
Ray

Or single and living in California? Or are we honorary southerners!
But I do keep my old S-10 4x4 around for Home Depot, camping, Burning Man, and the mountains in the winter.
Steven Goodman '01 Z-28 '90 S-10, 220,000 miles and still running great.
Steven Goodman wrote:

I meant places that don't see lots of snow in the winter... :)
And I'm happy to discover my reverse facing baby seat FITS in my trans am. AND she sleeps in it - she won't do that in the wife's Beretta. Never thought my SLP loudmouth was a baby aid. And she likes it when I stomp on it.
Ray
Lol.. hey now... V6s can be for more than parts.. <grin> But I agree.. when I finally got my V8 cars.. there is no contest. But I still am glad that my first car (bought it same day I got my license at 16) was a v6.. torque and power would have either killed me or put me in LOTS more confrontations with the nice Mr. Ossifers.. <grin>
-Geno 1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Tazmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops (Still want an '82 Black T/A w/T-tops)
I love my V6....nuff said :)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/629524 http:/www.fbody.com
Good luck on your decision!

You only live once. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
V-8
puked:

V-8

not likely

A better chance of it becoming a dented car if used in the 4 seasons.

Both are basically the same including the parts on the engine, so not really.

Up the anty on the suspension components as money comes available and you can get plenty of thrills using turns instead of a strait line to get your kicks.

Misconception, it's the same small block with differing internal parts.

Do not buy it for the resale value because you will lose.

The 6 speed puts it right up there in the mid to high 20's from what I understand.

You get what you pay for

Don't get caught. If you have gotten alot of speeding tickets then you aren't paying enough attention to your driving. You must anticipate where the "Law" will be and always be looking everywhere and keeping constant attention to all four corners of the vehicle at all times.

Good luck deciding.
Darius wrote:

Drive an LS1 Trans Am. You'll not consider the V6 again. Although, if you're used to V6 Chevies you might need a change of underwear. ;)
My philosophy (spelling?) on these cars is they are noisy, cramped, and get lousy fuel economy. In exchange you get rocket sled acceleration, nosebleed brakes and sphincter tightening handling. V6 'Birds aren't horribly slow, but they're not fast... and you don't get any more cargo capacity.
Oh... and I've gotten 34 mpg on the highway. (and >10 mpg at the strip.)
Ray 01 Trans Am Ram Air w/Nitrous 80 Trans Am 76 Camaro Dirt Track Stocker
you got 34 mpg @ hwy with a V8? Which one? The 01 TA?
My V6`s best is 28 mpg @ hwy at constant 80 mls/h

Georg Hanuschik wrote:

like your V6 (like most V6's) is a dog. Running 85 in my 89 takes considerably less than 1/2 throttle, I'm pretty sure that a V6 at the same speed takes a lot more throttle. Additionally since the V6 has FAR less torque (typically less than 1/2) it has to be geared lower to get the same performance as the V8 does. IIRC, with 2.73's in high gear I run about 2500 RPM at 85, I know that V6's have to tac a lot higher than that for the same speed.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer

On a recent trip I got 29 mpg on the interstate with the T-tops off and the windows down.. 332 miles... 700r4 with a 3.42 rear end.. granted it doesn't have a lot of get up and go up hills.. but it has enough on level ground. 60 runs me just under 2k... 75 just under 2500. So its higher than my v-8 'birds.. but its been going strong for the 8 years I've had it and I'm happy with that. About the torque comment.. speaking of 3rd gens.. the v-8 don't have more than twice the torque a v-6 does.. My v-6 has 135 pounds.. and the 305 hhas 245... jusut over 100 pounds more.. granted that does make a pretty big difference.. but don't think they are worlds apart.