V6 or V8 - help me decide

Page 2 of 3
Georg Hanuschik wrote:

yup, in the 01. All highway miles. (Road trip.) 34.32 MPG - it was in California on mountain roads so it was probably 50-60mph. I've also gotten 28-29 a bunch of times. My average over 134 tanks is 19.12 mpg. That includes a LOT of rush hour driving and drag strip time. (I've gotten a few tanks under 13mpg after racing...) in 6th gear 60mph is like 1100 rpm.
Ray
Great to know. Thanks a lot. My V6 is < 15 mpg on mountain roads. Really better to drive the T/A.

strip.)
Georg Hanuschik wrote:

My little 5.0 v8 gets about 23 mpg in the mountains. Even the smaller v8 works less hard since it has so much more torque.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer

Georg Hanuschik wrote:

Sorry, just checked back into the group. The term dog refers to the level of performamce compaired to a v8. The V8 will outperform the V6 in almost every way. And frankly, unless you are actually working hard for max milage, the V8 may even get better mileage under normal driving conditions.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer
"And frankly, unless you are actually working hard for max milage, the V8 may even get better mileage under normal driving conditions."
I found this to be true with my Formula... Had to drive it for a couple of months after some punk kid FILLED my gas tank on my Camaro with red christmas sugar... I actually got about 4-5 mpg MORE than my V-6... shocked the hell out of me... but we are only talking 35 more Hp and about 100 more pounds of torque....
-Geno 1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Tazmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
KITTvsKARR wrote:

IIRC the 3rd gen V6 was about 145 HP with about 150 lbs of torque where the V8 depending on which one is 170 HP and 255 FP for the TBI 305, 225 HP and 300 FP for the TPI 305 and 245 HP and 350 FP for the TPI 350. This is all going off my oftimes faulty memory.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer

Two things, in my opinion:
1) Get the V8 for sure. If you really have to hem and haw over V6 vs. V8, F-body isn't the platform.
2) Even more subjective, but I prefer the Camaro to the bird. Both are awesome platforms, but I prefer the asthetics of the Camaro. The TrAm gets a bit too carried away on the 4th gens to the point it looks toyish, or at least a bit silly. Like some kind of Blair Witch Project version of the Bat Mobile. In short, there's enough kid in me to love the power and performance, but enough adult in me to cringe at the 4th gen Pontiac F-bods. Just my opinion.
While I love the thought of the LT1, I will note two reasons why I would NOT swap the dead 3.4L (I know what is involved in teh swap, but that's another post's material...) for one in my 95 Camaro:
1. Changing the spark plugs is a bitch with any 4th Gen v8 F-car. Four are okay, the other four call for getting under the car or getting thru the trap door on the LS1 cars--under the dash! Though the 3.8L in the 96-later cars might be no better with the 90* angle of that engine...
2. The Optispark being under the water pump. My 8 spark plug Ranger (no, not a 302, but the 2.3L I4) with coil packs spoiled me, so the 3.4L it is--although my project will be a newer 3.4L from a late 90s GM FWDer...it can be done...
As for the 2nd thought, I agree there, the flip-up headlamps on the Pontiac clones don't excite me, maintenance wise. Then again, the headlights on the 93-97 Camaros are crummy as well. Oh well...
So, yeah, the v8 F-cars are great, but the times that I laugh at how hard they are to work on and how expensive they *can* be to maintain are over. A 3rd Gen should be easier in those regards for a v8 model.
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

man, you'd take a V6 (and not even a 3.8 V6) over an LS1? Just for the record that makes you a pussy. ;)
oh, and the back 4 plugs on an LS1 are difficult, but not impossible. If you've got skinny arms and a cold engine, you can do all but one from above.
Ray 01 Trans Am

Just for the sake of changing sparkplugs?? If it sucks that bad, pay someone else to change 'em. It is not like you change them that often!
I fail to see the point of buying a performance vehicle, them putting a grocery getter engine in it! Would you buy a Dodge Viper with 3 liter and a automatic in it? Greg
Greg O wrote:

    If they made it, some one would. Charles
IIRC the spark plugs (certainly on an LT1 4th gen) are supposed to last 100,000 miles. that would imply maybe one change of plugs in the life of the car (200,000 miles before breaking).
The gas mileage on the V6 is not significantly better (even if Americans cared about that - unlike us with $8/gallon prices)
So for me, the option of V8 is a no brainer - just go for it!
Cheers
Graham
Charles Bendig wrote:

--
Graham Sewell
AITGSA Database Services
Graham Sewell wrote:

Greg O wrote:

I'd rather have a Chevette with an LS7...
oh, and under normal use it's like 100k miles for plugs. If you're running nitrous it's a yearly job. :)
Ray
ray wrote:

    If you got the money, Ill build it. Minus the engine, transmissiom,drive shaft,wheel, tires, and other high cost items. Ill give you the AACF discount. $300 for the car. $7,000 for the labor, frame work, roll cage, wheel tubs, and interior. Charles If you got the money, and are willing to spend it, Ill build it.
Charles Bendig wrote:

I need another car like I need a third testicle.
Ray 80 Trans Am Project Car 76 Camaro Dirt Track Stock Car 01 Trans Am Ram Air (12.18 with nitrous) 90 Beretta (wife's car) 90 Chevy 1/2 Ton 4x4
:)
ray wrote:

    Ha I Got you beat by a Mile! Charles 78 Nova future undecided 84 C-10 Piup up doing a body swap on to a 82 K-10 frame 85 Ford Ranger Cheep Trail Truck Project (still haven't spent over $150 on it, plan to compleate for under $500) 85 T/A awaiting restifaction 87 GTA awaiting afidavid of title 87 Cavalier Z-24 89 GMC S-15 Jimmy (aka the blazer) 91 S-10 Extended Cab 4x4 Pick Up project 91 C-2500 6 lug 98 Buick Century Plus 2 ugly 2 toyota's i have decided just to fix and sell.
Charles Bendig wrote:

jebus... ok, in my yard I also have... 86 S15 Jimmy w/no engine - my old winter beater and rusted to heck... going to part it out... 86 Hyundai Excel - the car I took my driver's test in. I also have a 305 I blew up, a seized 305, a seized 350, and a 4 bolt 350 to be rebuilt for the race car. One blown TH350, one working Pontiac TH350, and one mystery TH350 and one TH200.
Hey, do they make fiberglass bodies for the S Series Jimmy/Blazer? The frame is good, the body is rotten. Hmmm... maybe I need another project. ;)
Ray