vibrations above 80mph

Thank in advance! I have a 2000 Pontiac T/A WS6 conv. and the problem is hard braking above 80mph their is serious vibrations in the steering wheel, but not the brake pedal. At speeds above 120mph just touching the brakes to
slow down not hard braking I get the same violent shaking and vibration in the steering wheel, and again no brake pedal vibration. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on hear? I love the car and love to drive it to the max. Will a rotor upgrade help? Thanks Jetster

Rotate your tires and see if that helps.......If it does you have a bad tire,perhaps a blown belt and a very dangerous condition. I wouldnt be making high speed runs if I knew it was acting that way.
If it runs smooth all the time except when you hit the brakes, I would suspect rotors, (or could it be a malfunctioning anti-lock system?)
Superman

: > Thank in advance! I have a 2000 Pontiac T/A WS6 conv. and the problem is : > hard braking above 80mph their is serious vibrations in the steering : wheel, : > but not the brake pedal. At speeds above 120mph just touching the brakes : to : > slow down not hard braking I get the same violent shaking and vibration in : > the steering wheel, and again no brake pedal vibration. Anyone have any : > ideas as to what is going on hear? I love the car and love to drive it to : > the max. Will a rotor upgrade help? : > Thanks Jetster : > : > : : Rotate your tires and see if that helps.......If it does you have a bad : tire,perhaps a blown belt and a very dangerous condition. I wouldnt be : making high speed runs if I knew it was acting that way.
The description sounds like warped rotors really.
Typically, you'll see more shake and wobble by a light tap to the brakes. Going full force on the brakes will actually stabilize the wobble, but obviously, you can't stand on the brakes every time you want to touch 'em.
New rotors would be good. I'm not saying it can't be a torn belt or even a bent rim, but it really does sound like a rotor problem at this point. (But of course, w/o having driven it myself.......)
Gotta agree with the previuos post.... sounds like warp rotors.

Rotor warped or something.... Tire belt screwed up... ABS not working.....
Maybe a better performing roter (Slotted and larger)
Would not be driving that fast til its fixed....