Wanting to replace engine - 93 Firbird 6 Cyl

How did I miss this...

Funny thing, the LT1-era v6 car fuel lines run from the driver's side shock tower...

These things are hanging in my car right now connected to nothing since the intake manifold is off...

Anyway, I read that to get them to work on an LT1 swap, all that needs to be done is unhook them from the clip holding them to the fender well and stretch them a smidge and connect to LT1 engine. Presto. Done with that part.

The 3.4L car AC system also is compatible with the LT1. Compressor swaps over no problem. You can use a v6 fan instead of the LT1 twin fans, which I have read to be rather finicky itself...v6 fan = 16", LT1 fans = 12" each.

Of course, what was a somewhat easy car to work on becomes a PITA in terms of working room with a v8 under the hood, but you only live once...

Reply to
alfredB18

I have a 3.8L in my camaro - wondering how it is heavier than an LS1. What's all this 90 / 60 degree talk too.

I love my little beastie...

CLICK HERE

Easy. A 3.8L is all iron. An LS1 is all aluminum in the sport cars.

The 2.3L 4 cylinder in my Ranger is heavier than an LS1. Or really close to being such as it is also all iron.

The talk about degrees is about the angle between the cylinder banks. Or so I tell myself that, but it seems to work so far...

Reply to
alfredB18

3.8 V6(231 C.I.) is I-4 thru V6 Bell housing bolt pattern. The ONLY V6 GM Makes that is V8 Bell housing Bolt Pattern is the Chevy 4.3 V6 Gas engine. Which uses a Modified 350 casting Mold. This was done since it was meant to be a Light Truck Engine (even though some cars used it).

All Chevy V8's are 90 Degree Engine. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

The 2.3/2300/144 C.I. Ford I-4 (aka pinto motor) does not weight near what a LS1 does. The LS1 lost some weight over the older small blocks, maybe 480 to 550 pounds dressed, where a old all iron small block weights around 600 to 750 pounds dressed. That's with power accessories installed.

Your Ford 2.3 I-4 weights around 375 dressed with the dual spark plug head, emissions controls, and power accessories. I have, with the help of a friend picked one up off the ground and set it in the bed of a pick up before.

As for the 3.8 V6 Being all iron, no, just the block is. As for weight, less then a LS1. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig