What Rear End Gear?

have been in a wheelchair for about 10 years now and i built an 81 malibu with a 406 sbc, Edelbrock RPM heads, Tunnel Ram w/2-450 Holleys, full MSD setup, cam is crane 300 dur 510 lift, with a Pete Jackson Gear Drive, stall is

2800-3200 th350 trans, i am currently running the stock 7.25 inch 10 bolt w/ a spool and 3.08 gears, i have lakewood lift bars also. it gets out of the hole good with the stall and the torque of the 406 but my friends all give me crap about my 3.08 gears. dont hear em whining about it when i blow their doors off though. what should i do? keep taking the crap or go to a diff gear? what will it do to my setup? how would the car perform, and what do ya think i am running for hp out of it? its a 1972 block w 2 bolt mains.

Thank You All Brett B.

Reply to
Malibu81

Are you happy with it ?

If your happy and you're still beating them, leave it alone :-)

You don't say what times you are running or whether you run it on the road much.

Changing the rear will wake the car up from a standstill but might not feel as good when being driven. I changed my '78 Camaro back end from 2.73 to

3.23 posi. It helped wake the car up but had the side effect of moving the gears about halfway. With the old 2.73 gears, on the street I could drop into 1st gear for passing and run upto 80-90mph. With the 3.23 I was only able to drop into second most of the time.

Also to consider is the extra fuel, noise, vibration and wear that comes with taller gears.

Hope that helps

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

sbc,

To be honest my local track will not let me run on the strip due being paralized from the waist down and me having to operate my Malibu via hand controls, they say its a safety concern hahaha B.S. i say, isnt that why you sign the waiver? oh well. its a saturday nite street pounder and i love droppin it into 1st as well and rippin the tires off of it hahahaa. im thinkin i will stick with the 3.08's until i get beat anyway lol. any guesses as to the hp on my combo?

Thank you Kindly Brett B

Reply to
Malibu81