When to buy new tires?

Page 2 of 3

Every state has it's less then nice area's, trust me, Ohio is full of them. It's a bit different when your a southerner cracking on the south. But when someone who has never lived there does. Charles

Parma....Kent....Clevo...yea..familiar with that, as I used to drive up every weekend to see this young lady that wanted me to move there...

Charles Bendig wrote:

I'm most definitely a Southerner. Watch "Gods and Generals" and you'll see why Stonewall is one of my greatest heroes. (Or maybe I'm just a mid-westerner at heart, hard to say.)

I'm a Yankee by birth, Southern by choice. I did see part of Gods & Generals. Pretty damn good. For some reason my DVR didn't record it properly. Charles
Geeze. I aplogized to you and this is how you respond? Here's an acronym for you then: FOAD, B.
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:57:51 -0700, "Mr. Floppy"

CBHVAC spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Which time? There was Shane from Bama, Sean from Tampa Bay, BP and Erik V from FL, and Cowpoke... along with a host of others too minor to even consider. :)
NOI, aka Rock5

Shane "I have a fleet!" Wasn't he the guy with the 65 Trans Am? Bwahahahahahaha!
Dave

Yup...that was him. He was down in Alabama or somewhere like that...he about shit a brick when at least 3 of us called him up one night and told him to get off the computer...
CBHVAC spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

I called his dad. Shane didn't fight much after that...LOL!
NOI
poncho462 spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Prolly. There have been so many the last several years, I can't keep track. :)
NOI
You should really buy new tires by no later than when you have only 2/32" tread depth left right?
When you can read large newsprint thru 'em, or maybe the comics. Reading the editorials thru 'em means you should already have replaced 'em.
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:51:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ihatespam.net (SgtSilicon) wrote:

~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.
SgtSilicon wrote:

Actually, that's the law. If you look at your tread, you'll see a perpendicular line crossing the tread pattern. That would be your 2/32" marker.

Hey, fellas, isn't 2/32" equal to 1/16"? Maybe politicans can't figure it out? :-)
--
Mr. Floppy

there would be a congressional debate needed to see:
Whether that equates, or if it should be left at 2/32nds.
Refinish King

It is. But by specifying it in 32nds, it the precision of measurement is thereby refined. For example, if you have a ruler graduated in 32nds, it is easier to see something that is say 3/32 than if you have a ruler with only 16th gradients and call it 1 and a half 16ths. It probably shouldn't matter though.
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:12:28 -0700, "Mr. Floppy"

Cool. I have a depth guage anyway. Have Goodyear on there now but was thinking of going with something else when the time comes to change. I want Z rated tires, but I don't go to the track and I want half way good rain performance.
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:52:12 -0400, GLK9MM

SgtSilicon wrote:

I'm a big fan of the Pilot XGT-H4 myself. It's good into the 130s? (Can't remember now.) But I do remember that they corner a hell of a lot better than the crap Eagle GSC-Z that came with my car. As far as compounds go, I've never been impressed with Goodyear. I've used and like Michelin, and BFGoodrich. I've also used Khumo and others, but they are too gummy and you can say good-bye to the tread after say....20-25K miles. (I actually burned through some Pilots in 12K mi. once, but I was purposely ripping them up every chance I got, not the best use of my time/money.)
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:50:53 -0400, GLK9MM

Thanks for the tips Martin. From what I've read the Goodyear Eagle GSC tires that came on the cars aren't that great compared to some others out there. I'm still on those tires so don't have much to compare them with. Funny thing is they're pretty spendy too at over $170 per tire. The Michellins are around a similar price but I've heard good things about them. There are also some Asian brands that I have read some good thing about. Have you had experience or have friends that have owned Sumitomo or Yokahama? I know you mentioned the Kumhos are gummy. What about Bridgestone or Firestone. How about Dunlop or Pirelli? I've been to tirerack and know about the reviews there etc. Just wondered if you (or anyone here) have any insight on some of the other brands.