When to buy new tires?

I'm most definitely a Southerner. Watch "Gods and Generals" and you'll see why Stonewall is one of my greatest heroes. (Or maybe I'm just a mid-westerner at heart, hard to say.)

GLK9MM

I'm a Yankee by birth, Southern by choice. I did see part of Gods & Generals. Pretty damn good. For some reason my DVR didn't record it properly. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Thanks for the tips Martin. From what I've read the Goodyear Eagle GSC tires that came on the cars aren't that great compared to some others out there. I'm still on those tires so don't have much to compare them with. Funny thing is they're pretty spendy too at over $170 per tire. The Michellins are around a similar price but I've heard good things about them. There are also some Asian brands that I have read some good thing about. Have you had experience or have friends that have owned Sumitomo or Yokahama? I know you mentioned the Kumhos are gummy. What about Bridgestone or Firestone. How about Dunlop or Pirelli? I've been to tirerack and know about the reviews there etc. Just wondered if you (or anyone here) have any insight on some of the other brands.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

The yokahama is also very gummy. I'd put Dunlop and Pirelli on a par with BF Goodrich. (Though from my experience the Pirelli is not as durable as the Dunlop.) I've had Dunlop and Pirelli on my bike though, so, that's my frame of reference in regards to their compounds. I don't imagine it would change all that much from vehicle tires. (Granted, the technology is different, but the compounds should be the same.)

Reply to
GLK9MM