Windscreen replacement

My '84 TA has made it to 99,xxx miles on its 5 digit display, and I'm keen to get to 100k. But now I've been thwarted as it appears the speedometer cable has broken.
Is it easy to get at to replace?
The other thing that's happened since the last inspection is that a chip on the windscreen that's been there since I bought it in 2001 has suddenly decided to grow. How bad is replacing the windscreen on one of these? Scrapyards have them for <$100...
Thanks, Simon